Using Ultrasone Pro900 with Computer... What amp to get?
Oct 7, 2009 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

musik_lover

Head-Fier
I need some help everyone.

I got my Pro900's in the mail today! I don't have any amp yet but I am expecting to receive the amp3 pro2 player to use with these in the next couple days. I would like to be able to hear and enjoy the music BEFORE i transfer it to my portable amped player though.

I want to bring out the full potential of the bass in the pro900's that is most important when getting an amp.

If it has any relevance, my soundcard on my PC is (i think): VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

If possible i DO NOT want to spend more than $400 on an amp. I don't need perfection, but I want the Pro900's to be driven to their potential bass-wise on my PC.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 4
I think you should upgrade your source first and foremost. Preferrable a DAC/AMP combo would be the best bang for the buck.

Essence ST is really nice but you would have to find some opamps to reduce the bass for best synergy with the 900. Just to much bass quantity for my taste.

As for DAC/AMP combo I don´t really have one and my DAC/AMP combos exceed your budget. You do need an amp that can push a lot of current. Canamp was nice for the 750 but same as for the Essence to much bass for my preference on the 900. If you are a true bass head you may not have any problems with such bass quantity though
smily_headphones1.gif

As for recommendations I am sure compass will come into question. I really like my Keces 131 mk 2 so may look into it´s dac/amp combo as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 4
Alright I know NOTHING about this "amp" and "dac" stuff. Sorry these are the firsthi-fi headphones I've ever had.

Could you give me some direct links of whatyou mean to buy? I just have no idea. I searched Essence ST and got so much nonsense that I don't know what I'm doing.

PS: Yes I am a real bass-head!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 4
A computer soundcard made for headphones would be good. If you get a compass keep in mind that it uses hdam's which do not sound neutral and will prevent the pro 900 from being neutral, not so obvious or irritating if you use stock cable though (I really liked the compass with fun headphones though). But I say try out your mp3 player first, it may be good enough for you. I know I like to listen to my pro 900 out of an mp3 player sometimes, I attribute it to being free of AC noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back