Using the SPDIF connector with EAC for maximum quality?
Sep 21, 2002 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
Pretty much all CD Drives have two audio connectors- the 4-pin analong one and the 2-pin digital one. Right now I have a DVD Drive and a CDRW drive. The DVD drive is using the digital connector, while the CDRW is using the analog connector.

EAC reports that the CDRW (Using the analog) is the better drive with which to extract audio. In order to get the max quality .wav source files, should I hook up the digital connector to my CDRW or does EAC not use those cables (and uses the IDE cable instead or something) to extract the audio?

Ruahrc

Sep 21, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 2
EAC doesn't use a sound card to digitize analog audio coming from a CD drive. If that were the case, you'd have to play the audio CD at 1 speed as if you were listening to it, with your sound card recording/digitizing the audio.

Instead, EAC extracts audio digitally through the IDE cable, in a similiar fashion that regular data is extracted. EAC uses its own sophisticated techniques for extracting an accurate wav file, which is a bit different than how regular data is actually read.

Anyway, with your current setup, you should already be getting the max quality wavs your machine is capable of extracting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back