Using the MixAmp Pro TR as a pre-amp for the Magni 3
Mar 6, 2022 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SecrtAgentMan

New Head-Fier
Hello, trying to research and plan out purchasing of a new pair of headphones and wanted to see what options there were with powering the headphones. I game on a Series X which doesn't have optical out. I am planning on buying a pair of Beyerdynamic Tygr 300R, 880DT, or 990 DT but haven't selected which one yet.

Is it possible for me to use the Astro MixAmp Pro TR as a pre-amp and connect it to a Magni 3? How is this connection achieved?

• Xbox > USB > MixAmp > 3.5 mm Male headphone out to Male RCA > back of Magni > Headphones ?
Is the sound quality altered when using something like a MixAmp as a pre-amp versus using a Magni alone?

If I wanted to use a Blue Yeti with this configuration how could I do that? Connect the 3.5 mm on the Blue Yet to the controller directly? Connect the Blue Yeti to the MixAmp?

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 9
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.
I prefer my HP200, over the DT880 & DT990.
You can use the Magni, daisy chained off the Mix-amp's headphone jack.
Not perfect, but it should function well enough for you.
Me, I would just get a Creative Labs G5 or G6 USB sound card, plug headphones directly into the G5/G6.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 9
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.
I prefer my HP200, over the DT880 & DT990.
You can use the Magni, daisy chained off the Mix-amp's headphone jack.
Not perfect, but it should function well enough for you.
Me, I would just get a Creative Labs G5 or G6 USB sound card, plug headphones directly into the G5/G6.
Thanks, I'll look into those headphones also.

Good to hear the daisy chain in that configuration would work.

As for the G5/G6 wouldn't I still need to daisy chain? Xbox doesn't support audio over USB like Playstation does unless it's with Astro/Turtlebeach equipment since companies have to pay licensing fees from what I've heard.

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 9
I've done that with the Sound blaster G6 and the Sennheiser GSX1000. Use Kabeldirect 3.5mm to RCA, the Ugreen is flimsy and gets too much interference. The Heresy is great for that, also the Drop thx 789 will work. The SMSL SP200 and Drop thx One will have a ground hum at volumes over 65 percent so don't use those for it. My personal favorite is the DT880 Black edition with the factory silver pads. The MMX30O with silver pads is my daily driver for headsets, 32 ohm and works best at 3 volts to hear all the bass though.

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 9
I've done that with the Sound blaster G6 and the Sennheiser GSX1000. Use Kabeldirect 3.5mm to RCA, the Ugreen is flimsy and gets too much interference. The Heresy is great for that, also the Drop thx 789 will work. The SMSL SP200 and Drop thx One will have a ground hum at volumes over 65 percent so don't use those for it. My personal favorite is the DT880 Black edition with the factory silver pads. The MMX30O with silver pads is my daily driver for headsets, 32 ohm and works best at 3 volts to hear all the bass though.
Thanks, appreciate the response. I'll look into the Heresy also.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks, I'll look into those headphones also.

Good to hear the daisy chain in that configuration would work.

As for the G5/G6 wouldn't I still need to daisy chain? Xbox doesn't support audio over USB like Playstation does unless it's with Astro/Turtlebeach equipment since companies have to pay licensing fees from what I've heard.
If your gaming console does not have optical output and does not support audio over USB, how is the Mix-amp getting an audio signal from the X Series?

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 9
If your gaming console does not have optical output and does not support audio over USB, how is the Mix-amp getting an audio signal from the X Series?
I might have mis-worded my reply a bit. My understanding of it is that audio over USB isn't natively supported on the Series X but can work if manufacturers pay a licensing fee to Microsoft.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlast.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/SoundBlast...dspq/is_the_g6_compatible_with_xbox_series_x/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back