using the e7, not sure what i should be noticing
Dec 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

biggerliz

New Head-Fier
there is a similar thread below, but a different issue.

i am very new here, but i think there needs to be more stickies, and places to ask quick questions (everybody here is very friendly).

anyways, i am new. but am interested in learning about HPs, sound, etc. so i have the ATH M50, and the hd 600. i recently bought the e7 and am now waiting for the e9.

my source
iphone4 > e7 > m50 or hd 600

aside from how loud the music can sound, i don't notice much difference between e7 and no e7.  when i ran my e7 thru my computer, i did notice less hissing, but thru the iphone no difference. should my music sound better thru the e7 than not?

DAC - Digital to Analogue Converter. Converts digital music data from a CD or computer back into an analogue waveform. CD and DVD players have them built in. Very often they come in a separate box, sometimes with an amplifier.

so...what exactly does a DAC and or AMP do in layman's terms? why do i want to convert a digital source (mp3) into an analog source? do headphones play music better from an analog source?

Amplifier - an electronic device for increasing the amplitude of electrical signals. Though primarily used to refer to headphone amplifiers that take a small audio signal from a CD player, sound card or DAC and amplify it to a level high enough for headphones or speakers. Most devices, even those that send out digital data, contain some kind of amplification circuit.

same question regarding an AMP. in layman's terms...an electrical signal is amplified, which means that volume is amplified? but is that it? there is also some EQ component to an AMP, but if there was no EQ component, would the difference between two powerful AMPs be negligible (as in both have the power to drive bigger headphones).

basically, i have all these awesome toys, but either i don't have the ear to hear these details, or don't have the knowledge to appreciate the details. i would like to change both of these cases.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 5
The E9 will surely make your HD600 sound better, E7's power output is limited and similar to that of the headphone jack of a computer.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 5
iPhone:

The e7 does not make anything else than amplifying the sound, so it makes demanding headphones sound better and fuller. However on your computer, the e7 when connected via USB also works as a DAC (external sound card) and then you should have a cleaner, better sound depending on the quality of your sound card that already is in your PC.

Connecting it to the iPhone does make a difference when your headphones need the extra amplifying. The e7 cannot replace the iPhones DAC.

Hope that helps,

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
iPhone:

The e7 does not make anything else than amplifying the sound, so it makes demanding headphones sound better and fuller. However on your computer, the e7 when connected via USB also works as a DAC (external sound card) and then you should have a cleaner, better sound depending on the quality of your sound card that already is in your PC.

Connecting it to the iPhone does make a difference when your headphones need the extra amplifying. The e7 cannot replace the iPhones DAC.

Hope that helps,

Helps me out. 
beyersmile.png

So far tonight I've learned that a DAC just for my iPod or iPhone is a waste of funds. And the E7's amp isn't any better than the E6 I already have. Meaning I'm not gaining anything by getting one for my computers.

I need *something* for the computer at least, as there's a fair amount of noise from the desktop's inner workings when the music is quiet or not playing. Where should I start looking if the Q701 is my next big headphone want?

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
why do i want to convert a digital source (mp3) into an analog source? do headphones play music better from an analog source?

Every CD player, blu-ray, TV, radio, mp3 player, Apple, Sony, laptop, smartphone, sound-card etc. has a DAC (D/A = Digital to Analog) chip.

The conversion is very complex, so the fancy high-end chips usually sound nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back