Using speakers on their side
Sep 27, 2010 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hathawcs

New Head-Fier
I am looking to get some new computer speakers, but I have limited height to work with on my desk.  The tallest the speakers can be is 9.5 inches.

So far, I have been looking at the Audioengine A2 and M-Audio AV 40 because they both fit within my height constraints.  I would also add a sub at some point.

I also am intrigued by the Audioengine A5, M-Audio BX5A, and some Swan speakers (M200MkIII or D1080MkII08).  All of these are too tall for my desk.

Is it possible to tip the speakers on their sides so that they fit on my desk?  Or should I just stick with the smaller speakers?

Thanks ahead of time!

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
I am looking to get some new computer speakers, but I have limited height to work with on my desk.  The tallest the speakers can be is 9.5 inches.

So far, I have been looking at the Audioengine A2 and M-Audio AV 40 because they both fit within my height constraints.  I would also add a sub at some point.

I also am intrigued by the Audioengine A5, M-Audio BX5A, and some Swan speakers (M200MkIII or D1080MkII08).  All of these are too tall for my desk.

Is it possible to tip the speakers on their sides so that they fit on my desk?  Or should I just stick with the smaller speakers?

Thanks ahead of time!

The manufacturer of the BX5a does not recommend side placement due to the air flow characteristics of the internal heatsink. The fins are vertical inside & speaker must be placed vertical in order to encourage the convection type airflow needed to cool the internal amp. Internal heatsink placement makes these issues of great importance. I like JBL's idea of using the port for a heatsink because then you get airflow over the heatsink relative to the output volume the you are playing them at & side placement is less likely to be an issue.

Sep 27, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi

Instead of buying speakers with built in amplifiers why not just buy a small power amp and a pair of regular bookshelf speakers?

The bookshelf speakers will nearly all be just fine on their sides.

If you buy the power amp and bookshelf speakers second-hand, on eBay for example, you will very likely get a good deal because there are just so many available.

For the same price as some new speakers-with-amp you will very likely be able to get very much better sound quality with second hand integrated amp and speakers.

No matter where you place your speakers on your computer desk, there is one thing that matters, and that is that the drive units are pointing towards your ears!

I see all the time people with speakers placed on computer desks but they have them such that the speakers are not directed at their own ears and so they are listening off axis. Because they are so close to the speakers they are listening very off-axis, and so the sound quality they are getting is extremely bad indeed. A pair of very cheap speakers listened to on-axis will sound many times better than the best speakers in the world off-axis.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 12
So, here are some amps I am looking at:

1. AudioSource AMP-100
  2. Dayton APA150
  3. TCA Gizmo

I am trying to keep that price below $150.  I am still looking around at passive speakers around $200:

1. Energy CB-5/CB-10
  2. TCA WAF-1
  3. Polk TSi100
  4. Behringer B2031P

Any thoughts on any of this?  There is too much to look at.  Search overload!

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
 A pair of very cheap speakers listened to on-axis will sound many times better than the best speakers in the world off-axis.

This last statement I have to disagree with wholeheartedly as most monitor speaker manufacturers design thier products to have very good off axis response due to the nature of control room needs. The speakers are typically placed on they mixers meter brige or just behind & the mixdown engineer has to be able to move side to side to make adjustments on relatively large control surfaces so is often off axis during the mixdown operation. On very large control surfaces the engineer may be seated at times & standing at others in order to reach the needed controls further  bringing out the need for excellent off axis response. A mediocre multimedia speaker or bookshelf speaker is not going to sound better on axis than listening to a correctly designed monitor that has excellent off axis response. Not all speakers even sound thier best on axis as some have tweeters that are too hot in level & sound better off axis as a result. This includes some rather high end home speakers.

Granted that imaging is still going to be best on axis & centered compared to off axis if listener is also off center but good monitors should sound correct for imaging even off axis as long as the listener is centered

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

Thanks ahead of time!

Why don't try the Swans M10 ?

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=373

The sound is very good : Basses aren't Boomy, Mediums and highs are present and not harsh, sound is precise, and the size isn't to tall
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #7 of 12
I wish I could use the M10s, but I have no where to put the midwoofer.  If I put it under the monitor, my monitor does not have any room.  My desk has a hutch that constrains my head severely.

Do you think they would still sound OK if I had to place the midwoofer on the ground?

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Would this receiver work out well?  Sherwood RX-4105

It looks to have plenty of power.  How would I add a subwoofer to it in the future, as it doesn't have a subwoofer output?  Is there something that would go between the computer and the receiver that would crossover and send the signal to the subwoofer and receiver separately?

Any receivers that can do 2.1 for under $200?  I would rather spend more on the speakers.

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I wish I could use the M10s, but I have no where to put the midwoofer.  If I put it under the monitor, my monitor does not have any room.  My desk has a hutch that constrains my head severely.

Do you think they would still sound OK if I had to place the midwoofer on the ground?

For some reason I can't type under the quote box..

Anyway.. I've never heard this specific 2.1 system, but the others I've had in the past, I've always had my .1 on the ground and it's never been an issue for me. On thing I may suggest if you have carpeted floors, putting the woofer on some kind of raised surface to keep th carpet from absorbing too much sound. A plastic milk crate for (a crude) example would do the job nicely I'd imagine. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 12
One aspect to consider is the shape of the waveguide around the tweeter.  Some speakers have a waveguide that is designed to expand dispersion along the horizontal and restrict dispersion along the vertical.  That's a good design for when the speakers are vertical but a poor design if the speakers are placed horizontal.  One of the goals of restricting the vertical dispersion is to help minimize the affect of sound bouncing off the console and other surfaces.  If you place such a speaker on its side you end up narrowing the sweet spot at your listening position and getting extra reflections off the surface of your desk.  So look for speakers that have a symmetric waveguide.

For example, the AudioEngine A5 appear to have a waveguide that expands the horizontal and restricts the vertical.  Probably not a good speaker to place on its side.

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #11 of 12
How do you think the following would work?  Would it be better than the MAudio AV40 or the Audioengine A2?

1. AudioSource AMP-100
  2. Polk Audio Monitor 30 (on its side)

Would Polk Audio Monitor 30s sound OK on their sides?

The wife has cut my budget to under $200, so I am trying to stretch it as much as possible.

Sep 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 12
The AudioSource and Polk looks like it would work.  The Polk speaker would likely do OK on its side.  Nothing wrong with the amp and passive speaker approach.  There can be deals to be had doing it that way, especially if you can find an integrated amp for cheap or find little bookshelf speakers used locally.

You can also look at some of the small class-D or Tripath (T-amp) or similar amps.  They're on eBay and other places.  The class D amps are small and desktop friendly.  Enough power for nearfield with small speakers.  Tweak City Audio has their Gizmo and WAF combo on sale right now.  But it's just a tad over your $200 budget.  A neat thing about the Gizmo is it has a sub crossover built in for if/when you want to add a sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back