using sony ce595 with headphones
Mar 14, 2006 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

binkgle

500+ Head-Fier
as a few of you know, i've been looking into cheaper/entry-level cdps lately as i'd like to move over to cd from my computer. i'll be buying some ms-1s to use with this, and i'd prefer a newer player seeing as you can't be sure how long a denon or marantz player you buy off ebay will last, no matter how good they allegedly sound (i've never heard one).

i've just started looking into the sony ce595 and i'm quite interested. how does this perform with redbook next to a denon dcd-1500 or marantz cd63/67 (the models i've been following on ebay)? also, does this have a headphone jack, or would i need an amp with rca inputs? i don't have the money for an amp, so...

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 10
hmm, oh well, i guess i'll have to keeping looking out for a denon or marantz. any other food entry-level cdps with headphone jacks?

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
i've just started looking into the sony ce595 and i'm quite interested. how does this perform with redbook next to a denon dcd-1500 or marantz cd63/67 (the models i've been following on ebay)?

Don't know for sure, but I suspect the Denon DCD-1500 is better... it was one of Denon's top models back in the day and sold for considerably more in ~1989 dollars than the CE595 does now. The latter will have a newer DAC of course, but I bet the Denon has a smoother treble and possibly better transparency due to a better power supply. Just guessing though, based on original selling price of both models and what people have said about the Denon.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 10
If you could part with about $100 more (after doing an online search for the best price) the Sony SCD-2000ES can be had with a headphone out. I have the Sony SCD-CE595 and I wasn't immensely thrilled with the Redbook playback--a little too harsh for my ears. I sprung for the Tube Research Labs mod--which, although not as expensive as some mods, would probably be out of your price range as well (considering you aren't able to buy a headphone amp). However--when I first had the unit, I was listening through a cheapo Headroom amp, which didn't sound too bad, at least for the SACD playback.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 10
yeah, the sony doesn't sound quite as good to me anymore. i guess i'll keep myself limited to the denon and marantz players, then.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyshedd
If you could part with about $100 more (after doing an online search for the best price) the Sony SCD-2000ES can be had with a headphone out. I have the Sony SCD-CE595 and I wasn't immensely thrilled with the Redbook playback--a little too harsh for my ears. I sprung for the Tube Research Labs mod--which, although not as expensive as some mods, would probably be out of your price range as well (considering you aren't able to buy a headphone amp). However--when I first had the unit, I was listening through a cheapo Headroom amp, which didn't sound too bad, at least for the SACD playback.

Have you had the TRL modded unit for any length of time to comment on the difference in sound between it and the stock player?

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #8 of 10
I just got the modded player back and I am immensely impressed. There is virtually no fatigue when listening to redbook cds. i have never heard such "pure" audio before, as far as i know. and this is only after 3 days of break in.

Apr 5, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #10 of 10
.....is what my son is using now, and he's pretty happy.

AudioAdvisor's new catalog shows the Marantz CD5001 at $300, which is more than what we paid for the CE595 plus the basic GoVibe.

The local CircuitCity's all sold out of the CE595 when it was on sale for $140. Are they still available anywhere else?

Also.......has anyone listened to the headphone output of the CD5001 or the Marantz SA8001 SACD/CD player? The AA catalog desciptions of both claim things like "audiophile-quality buffered output".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back