Using smart phones as DAPs ? Crazy or sensible
Dec 16, 2015 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Oldvalvemic

New Head-Fier
Hi all 
 having trailed the newest list of DAPs and having become so frustrated with my Fiio X5 I would like to ask if anyone has used a smart phone with a portable DAC/amp (like the Mojo or the HA2 for example) 
 I have a very fixed idea of what I am looking for and it involves 

1) The files should be easily and quickly accessible with the UI (unlike X5's stupid scroll wheel which takes forever to find wanted file...should have a search facility)
2) The UI should be touch screen and not a wheel (only for hamsters unless its an ipod RIP)
3) You should be able to use apps like Spotify along with other streaming services
4) Importantly there should be the ability to store AT LEAST 200Gb of files....I have a large collection and I want to be able to travel with all of it without having to change an SDcard. ( I understand Sandisc now have 200Gb cards which should ease the situation)
5) The player should have a headphone/lineout/coax or USB o/p)
6) Player should be able to play apple encoded files
7)Player should have Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity

I have looked at the new Fiio X7 and after the debacle of scrolling the X5 (for hours) I am reluctant to go to Fiio again although I could be persuaded if it is as good as it seems ( therefore saving on an external DAC/amp.).

The Sony Z5compact smart phone would seem a great direction to head in for these facilities.

So my question is ....these facilities are to be found on a good many Android smart phones has anyone moved in favour of this idea over a regular DAP and if so how have you found the quality and speed of the UI ,quality of 3rd party apps and the interface ability with a quality portable DAC/amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back