using Sennheiser HD 580 for movie watching -- how to connect the TV as source
Nov 28, 2016 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
I don't really know where to post this question, as there doesn't seem to be a section for using cans to listen to the TV.

Been a long time since I've posted, but I have a Samsung KS8000 65" TV arriving on Thursday and would like to know in advance how to listen to the audio from this TV with my HD580s.

First, I do have a portaphile V2 maxxed portable amp, and don't want to spend anyt more on amplification.

Second, I don't have any audio equipment in the family room other than the Cable Box RCA outs to a Klipsch 2.1 system for listening to the TV.  Cannot control volume from TV, but that's fine to control it on the Klipsch.

I can, at present, plug the 580s into the headphone out on one of the Klipsch satellites, but is sounds shrill and hashy.  I would rather lose detail and just listen through the speakers, even when way off center and losing the stereo effect.

The samsung has Bluetooth transmission built in.  So my first thought was to simply buy a bluetooth enabled portable DAC/Amp like the Creative E3 and simply plug my 580s into it.

But then I got to thinking...I've already got a decent amp that pairs fine with the 580s, and I don't really want a crappy DAC outputting to it.   I am assuming the DAC in the e3 does not compare to the quality of the 580s or the Portaphile amp.  But I couldn't find any high quality Bluetooth receiver DACs in a quick search.   Maybe bluetooth simply isn't an acceptable way to transmit over the air digital data?

do I really want to use the bluetooth at all?   I mean isn't there HD digital audio coming out of the cable box to the TV, and would bluetooth transmission alter those ones and zeros?   Or do they transmit just fine, it's just a question of how to convert them back into decent analog.   I really haven't got any experience with bluetooth so if anybody could answer than question I'd appreciate it.

IF bluetooth is crappy, could I then go from the optical out on the Samsung and somehow try to hide a 15' cable from my wife's disapproving gaze into a higher quality DAC that I would then connect with the Portaphile?

So you get the problem I'm trying to fix... plug my hd580s to the HD sound coming into my new TV (that doesn't have a headphone out), and preferably in a way that doesn't restrict me to sitting in only one spot in the family room.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 3
I may be reading this wrong, but I think you're overcomplicating this. 

The TV is the TV. The source is the cable box, and? If the source is just the cable box, then I would find a way to run a signal to your amp. Either split the RCA output into a cable that inputs into your amp, or check for a pass-through using the TV in the middle. Does the 2.1 system connect via digital PCM (Toslink or Coax), analog (RCA), or HDMI?

Keep it simple, and keep it pure(ish).

NK 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back