using regular receiver as headphone amp?
Feb 2, 2002 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

matthewd5

Head-Fier
hello.

here is a REALLY dumb newbie question...

is there any reason why you couldn't plug a source into an old receiver and then make a widget to go from the speakers out to a 1/4 female jack?

or it seems that you could do this and just use speakers b and shut off speakers a

i am about to order the creek 11se headphone amp, but a friend pointed out that i have a perfectly "good" leftover receiver from a recent upgrade.

matthew

Feb 2, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, it's physically possible. Just make sure that you have wired some resistors into the "widget", or the headphones will be history. The speaker out taps have way too much power without resistors in their path.
I agree with KR......do yourself a favor and enjoy the Creek.
BTW, welcome to Head-Fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Actually, Joseph Lau and Antique Sound Labs have already developed the "widget." A passive adapter to use with integrateds that lack a headphone jack. You can read Head-Fi moderator, rickcr42's excellent review of the adapter here.

Coming soon, Neruda's review of the adapter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Well, it's physically possible. Just make sure that you have wired some resistors into the "widget", or the headphones will be history.

Actually, AKG reccomends hooking some of its headphone models directly to the speaker terminals with no resistors...

And yes, my review should be coming along shortly!
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 6
Let's cut to the chase here, matthew......just order the Creek. You know you want it. Pretty simple, really. The fact that you're on this site pretty much guarantees a headphone amp in your future......and the future is now.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back