Using RCA spliters to a single input
Mar 18, 2016 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

h2rulz

100+ Head-Fier
Is it a good idea to use a RCA splitter at a single input port of a receiver?
In theory, I'm thinking it'll work but just wanted to make sure there aren't any sound quality or gear damaging issues.

I have two headphone amps with preamp outs. The preamp outs are connected to individual inputs on my receiver that powers my speakers. I also have a Schiit Sys that I'm using in reverse to switch between the two amps, but I also have to use the receiver remote to switch the inputs on the receiver as well.

Then I thought, why not make my life easier buy only using the switch on the Sys to switch between the amps?
Will there be any problems connecting two sources into a single rca input on a receiver?
I do use both amps at the same time, often switching back and forth.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 2

No, it's not correct to join two outputs together with a simple Y-splitter cable. That's actually an application for the Sys as it was intended, feed the two headphone preamp outputs into its two sets of inputs, then the selectable Sys output goes into a single receiver input.

When you say you are using the Sys currently in reverse mode, I assume you are feeding one line-level source (DAC?) into your two headphone amps. That configuration is valid to use a simple Y-splitter for, you don't need the Sys for that. Both downstream components can be safely fed the signal at all times, whether they are running or not.

It seems to me you don't want the Sys at all for what you are doing, replace it with a Y-splitter, and continue feeding each headphone pre-out into separate receiver inputs so you can select them from the comfort of your couch.

Schiit talks about these scenarios in their Sys faq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back