Using power amp to power headphones
Dec 15, 2003 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

chrisczarra

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone uses the speaker outputs of thier power amp to power thier headphones?
I did some searching and have seen mention of it from some of the members here, but I needed to what parts would be need and the wiring configuration.

I have a NAD C340 and would like to use it to power my SR 125's more effectively than the headphone jack. Not that the headphone jack on the NAD is bad at all, but I do recall reading a post that grados do benefit from the greater reserve of power from a regular stereo amp

Dec 16, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 6
NADs tend to have good jacks, so you might have some fun, but probably won't get much better sound. The easy way to do this is go commercial with an impedencer from ASL or Radii, but DIY could be very cool too.

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 6
Daycart1,
I think I am going to go ahead and do the d.i.y. impeder since it costs so little. I was going to just remove some of the headphone outlet resistors from inside the amp, but they are located somewhere on the circuit board and not next to the headphone jack, so I do not feel like taking a chance.

I do agree that the NAD headphone jack sounds good. In some ways I prefer using it than my headroom little. But the impedance rating of the NAD(100) is substantially higher than the grados(I think around 30 ohms), so I would like to see if a little tweaking will yield any beneficial results, especially in the bass, which I feel is not as tight as I would like. I can post some observations when I make the impeder if you or anyone else would like.

Dec 17, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 6
posted here somewhere is the Joe Grado Speaker Adapter plans plus there are speaker amp-to-headphones scematics at the HeadWize site in the headphone faq section.

you could also download the Audio Basics magazine from the Van Alstine site that has a good construction article for the same

look under the index for the coreect issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back