Using Portable DAC with Sony Minidisc Player?
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wilson.st

New Head-Fier
I have a Sony MZ-N10 minidisc player that has a 3.5 line out, and I also have a FiiO KA5 portable DAC for iPhone. This portable DAC has a removable source connection cable.

I was wondering if I were to connect these two devices using a male 3.5 to male USB-C cable/adapter, if this would then provide boost in power/volume to IEMs and headphones over the minidisc player's internal DAC?

Does this make sense?

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 3
It doesn't make sense.

As far as I know that Sony MZ-N10 3.5mm line-out will only output analog audio / normal sound for connecting an external amp. It will not output any digital signal that can be decoded by a DAC.

Also, there is no such a thing as '3.5mm to Type C cable/ adapter'. The only kind of digital signal that can pass through a 3.5mm socket is probably coax (*SPDIF) and it is not directly compatible with USB standard, including Type C.

Jan 26, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 3
It doesn't make sense.

As far as I know that Sony MZ-N10 3.5mm line-out will only output analog audio / normal sound for connecting an external amp. It will not output any digital signal that can be decoded by a DAC.

Also, there is no such a thing as '3.5mm to Type C cable/ adapter'. The only kind of digital signal that can pass through a 3.5mm socket is probably coax (*SPDIF) and it is not directly compatible with USB standard, including Type C.
Okay, then that's that. I appreciate the education on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back