using phono plugs/jacks for speakers
Jan 22, 2010 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

googleborg

100+ Head-Fier
would this be ok? I ask because i'm currently building a little 'box thingy' and it occurs to me that not only are phono jacks very cheap and easy to plug in/out yet very secure, but also, unlike banana plugged speaker leads it's impossible for the connectors to touch each other and 'do bad things' to your amp. further to this is interconnect cable suitable for loudspeaker loads?

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by googleborg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would this be ok? I ask because i'm currently building a little 'box thingy' and it occurs to me that not only are phono jacks very cheap and easy to plug in/out yet very secure, but also, unlike banana plugged speaker leads it's impossible for the connectors to touch each other and 'do bad things' to your amp. further to this is interconnect cable suitable for loudspeaker loads?

RCA's are often used for speaker outs in cheap audio systems. It can work, but DO NOT use coax/interconnect cable. I tried it once out of desperation, and the results were not pretty. Solder real speaker wire onto the RCA's, and make certain they are clearly distinguished from the line in and line out RCA's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back