using optical out on airport express?
Jun 9, 2006 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by americandreaming
i've been having problems getting my monica dac and airport express to work. is there anything you need to do in order to bypass the internal dac of the airport express and get optical output?

Please be more specific. The APX will put out analog/digital signal at the same time. Do you have trouble with the signal / dropouts, or rather no signal at all? First thing to do is to check whether the APX puts out signal. Does the analog output work? Check that first with an active speaker or headphone (with an attenuator/amp in between!
eek.gif
). Works? Check the digital out: Select the APX in iTunes as a remote speaker & play music without a cable connected. iTunes will complain but play nonetheless. Look down the 1/8" jack. You should see the typical red light. If it's there, connect your cable the way you did. Check the end of the cable for light before you hook it up to the DAC. Light still there? Good. Does your DAC have any indicator for incoming signal? Still no sound? Check iTunes advanced options and see if the volume control for remote speakers is disabled (it should be). If you are on a Mac: go to Utilities->Audio-Midi-config and check the output rate. Maybe it has been accidentially set to 96KHz which your DAC might not be able to handle. If so, set it back to 44,1KHz.

Jun 9, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks oliver!

yeah everything seems to be working so i'm guessing it's the dac that's not functioning. i'm trying to get it to work with the coaxial out of my dvd player but that doesn't seem to work.
confused.gif

it's a monica dac, yeo built, but wired up by me. it's very possible i've done something wrong but i can't seem to think of what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back