Using one addiction to fund another...
Sep 14, 2004 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Judge Crandall

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious how all you guys pay for all the stuff that head-fi induces you to buy. As a college kid, money's pretty tight. I do work, but there's only so much you can work during school. Plus, I'm not really getting paid much per hour. My best solution so far has been to play online poker. It started off as just some mindless fun with friends, and has sinced progressed into an obsession/part-time job. I've made more with online poker in the 2 weeks I've been at school than I probably will at my "real" job the entire school year. Money wasn't a big deal before, as the only thing I bought was food and books. But now, having just bought the ety 4p with a MS-2 on the way (don't even want to think about buying anything else right now, even though I know I will all too soon), I have to keep playing, otherwise I'll go bankrupt. Now I'm in a vicious cycle, where one addiction feeds the other...not that I'm complaining...
biggrin.gif

the Judge

Sep 14, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't need gambling.
I have no kids, sold my unnecessary car and my girlfriend has her own income.
That means I have 1000 $ to burn every month.
During the last year I've purchased audio related stuff for more than 4000 $ and I have way higher reserves than 12 months ago.
Or in the words of James Brown: The way I like it is the way it is.

Sep 14, 2004 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 16
I save up like crazy. Every little dollar, I don't waste it on anything but equipment and food. I also used to help out at my cousin's restaurant. They gave me cash once in awhile. I'm trying to get a job now that I'm in college. My classes aren't too hard, so I have a lot of free time. I've applied to a few places, still waiting for callbacks (don't think they will though). I don't have a cell phone, car, alimony, or anything like that, so my wallet usually has some money inside. But once I get a girlfriend I can probably say goodbye to it.
cool.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 16
Heh.. funny you should mention this, online poker is current my "job"
wink.gif

I've made enough this summer to buy an R10 and equally priced amp - but I won't be spending it all on headphones
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

Sep 15, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd3mon
Heh.. funny you should mention this, online poker is current my "job"
wink.gif

I've made enough this summer to buy an R10 and equally priced amp - but I won't be spending it all on headphones
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

Wow, not bad. Nice to know I'm not the only one...

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Most of my girlfriends were richer than me.
Strongly recommended.
icon10.gif

I have a difficult enough time finding a regular GF, but a wealthy one? That's gonna be tough. Can't really be too picky.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 16
I have many hobbies that involve expensive gear.
The most notable are photgraphy and electric guitar.
I go through phases of aquiring gear in each hobby, then as I see something isn't getting used as much as I think I'll use a new piece, I'll off something and redistribute funds.
Always have done. Works for me.
CPW

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Most of my girlfriends were richer than me.
Strongly recommended.
icon10.gif

What do you do once you have a rich girlfriend? I have one, but isn't it sort of embarassing to ask her for money..

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
So, this thread makes me realize I wish I was good at poker.

What he said.

Sep 15, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 16
Even with a wealthier girlfriend, I never mooched off her. I might have been broke and indebted to my siblings to fund this other "hobby", but mooching off a girlfriend is the last thing I want to do to her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back