Using old computer speakers for new build, help please.
Apr 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JoelDaMole

New Head-Fier
So in a nutshell, I have a pair of old speakers from an old Mac that I want to adapt to work in my new DIY project.

In a slightly larger nutshell
An old Macintosh which I have gutted to build a more modern machine in came with some reasonable built-in speakers. The speakers currently have a red and black wire coming from each of them, and all four wires go to one plug which would go into pins on the computers board. I would like to adapt these in some way to get them to work in my new build (which will probably mean a 3.5mm connector).
How do I go about doing this? I have a couple of images up at http://imgur.com/a/EZXgu which won't embed, and they should give some indication as to what we're dealing with here.
Thanks
Joel
(any questions will probably be answered when I get up tomorrow, about 10 hours after this was posted.)

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 2
Red wire-POS /Black wire NEG. This usually means the red wire causes a forward motion of the voice coil- the black wire the reverse.
        Its to keep the speakers --IN PHASE- in a stereo set up .
             If they are -out of PHASE- they lack definition.
                 So the RED to output
                   and black to earth-or whatever is designated as an earth or earth return.in the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back