Using my MicroAmp as a preamp?
Sep 8, 2006 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AndyRx7

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've just tried using my Headroom MicroAmp as a preamp for my active (i.e. that have their own amps inside) studio monitors. It seems to impart a nice smooth, warm and creamy sound signature that I don't get from the monitors if I feed them straight from my MicroDAC (sounds more clinical, especially in the midrange which is IMHO a great strength of the MicroAmp). Plus I get a nice convenient volume control right in front of me (instead of on the back of each monitor). I use my monitors for music production (for which I want clinical), but also for listening while I study (where clinical is annoying), so the more musical sound that seems to result with the MicroAmp in the chain is great.

So, my question - is there anything wrong with using a headphone amp as a preamp? Anyone else do this? Am I stressing the MicroAmp in some way?

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 3
no worries, i've used several headphone amps as preamps for my active monitors with no issues. of course it isn't ideal with varying input and output impedances between amps but I've not had any problems and nothing but positive experiences personally.

Sep 8, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909
no worries, i've used several headphone amps as preamps for my active monitors with no issues. of course it isn't ideal with varying input and output impedances between amps but I've not had any problems and nothing but positive experiences personally.

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. I'm really glad I tried this, it's obviously not the best for producing but definitely more enjoyable for listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back