Using my Hornet as a "Power Amp" and my iAudio X5 as "Preamp".
Apr 15, 2007 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
I had a bit of time at the Airport when I was going on my Easter break and I thought I'd decide to fiddle around with the settings on my portable setup.

Then an idea came to me.

I thought to myself:
"Shouldn't the amplification components and circuitry be far superior in the Hornet than the headphone output of my iAudio?"

It would make sense.

So I set the Hornet to the maximum volume settings available. After, I connected the iAudio but instead of using the volume controls on the Hornet, I was still using the volume controls on the X5 as a "Preamp" so to speak.
My Hornet is now basically a mini power amp for my portable setup.

The sonic differences we're amazing. No more bass roll off for the iAudio for one. Not only is there no roll off, the impact and quality of the bass is significantly improved.
Both my reference tracks for bass, Karmacoma by Massive Attack and Suntoucher by Groove Armada, sounded incredibly deep for ER4's and the bass quality rivaled that of the K-1000's, just with much more extension.

Also, there is no more clipping and peaks hooking up your portable setup this way. By turning up the volume on your DAP, it's putting more strain in the internal amplification circuitry which isn't all that flash to begin with. I feel that I'm getting a much cleaner signal this way. Though the signal has a low volume initially, because the Hornet now acts as the power amp, I'm getting the signal amped properly and evenly through all frequency ranges.
My music is a lot more detailed and sounds rich and full, even for ER4's which I admit can be quite analytical.

I suggest people give this route a try if you haven't already done so.

1. Set your portable amp to its maximum volume capacity.
2. Use your DAP as the "Preamp", controlling volume and equalization to your ear's content.

etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 18
Sounds interesting! This pretty much applies mostly to top-tier or low gain amps as other amps would have substantial hiss and a noisy background at top volume.

Apr 15, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds interesting! This pretty much applies mostly to top-tier or low gain amps as other amps would have substantial hiss and a noisy background at top volume.

True, didn't think of that.

The Hornet is indeed dead silent all the way through to 4 o'clock / high gain!!!

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 18
This is basically what I was doing when I once used my MD player(which doesn't have a line out) & PA2v2. I used around 60% volume on the player and 60 ~ 75 % on the amp.

May 19, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah this is interesting. Anybody else doing this?

I thought the general idea around here was that you shouldnt use headphone out on ur DAP for ipods because its crap, so you dont want to amplify crap.

that's true, but for those without a line-out on their DAP, it's still better than running unamped.

Jun 2, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 18
I just got my hornet!

I am doing the same thing now - put the hornet over to the 11 o'clock dial, and then just controlling the volume on my DAP sorta has a preamp

its much more convenient this way cuz the hornet's volume knob is so hard to turn!

Those of you doing the same, what vol position do you get on the hornet to get the best SQ? Does it even matter?

Man this hornet is good... i cant wait til it gets burned in... 10 min and counting!

Jun 2, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 18
Neat idea! I tried it with my Tomahawk and found there to actually be some noticeable hiss with my e500's on high gain (vol cranked all the way) but on low gain, it was barely there. I end up with the X5L volume on like 10-14 of 40, and it sounds rather nice.

I can't wait to hear what the Hornet can do...

Edit: I take that back. The hiss is still too noticeable. I ended up turning the volume down till it was gone, then working up the dap's vol to compensate.

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 18
the iaudio line out is terrible, well at least for my M3 i had previously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoapSeller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some one had to point it out:
The iAudio X5 have a line-out.

If you don't like the mini-dock(you just can't) there are some dock-connector=>mini-pl cables in the market...

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by clc220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the iaudio line out is terrible, well at least for my M3 i had previously.

And this is the X5? That's a surprise. Even when compared to the Meizu, terrible?

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this is the X5? That's a surprise. Even when compared to the Meizu, terrible?

dunno bout the m3, the meizu m6 ROCKS with the hornet. I cant hear any bit of hiss even when I turn the dial to the max. It is dead silent thru my 5 pro's.

I will post some pics later, but man, it feels like the hornet was made for the meizu m6 - the length x width are identical with the meizu so it looks really clean when velcro'ed together

Jun 2, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the meizu have a line out? i still dont know how you can tell whether a dap has a line out or not?

nope it doesnt. IMO the headphone out is perfectly fine - much much better than the headphone out of ipod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back