Using my computer as an equalizer ?
Jan 13, 2009 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Headdie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi !

I'd like to use my computer as an equalizer with another source than my computer. Here's the setup :

CD/DVD player > Stereo Receiver > Speakers/Headphones

I would use the computer in the tape loop (tape monitor) as equalizer. I have the soundcard to do it.

What software would you suggest to do it ?

Thanks,

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 10
It is not so much the software it is how your going to get real-time or near realtime effects.
I would say look at the DX effects or VST effects used for studio applications. You can find many free EQ's. Parametric, graphic specialized.

You can use your PC as a DSP for audio which is what you want to do.

What card are you using? are you just talking about using the EQ on the card itself-if you have one?

I have done lots of projects down this line. To help further I need to know what card you have....

Jan 14, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 10
My soundcard is a Musiland Lilo III Deluxe, a quite simple 24/96 USB soundcard. It doesn't support ASIO, so I use ASIO4ALL instead. I've tried XLUTOP, a VST chainer that can run within a host or standalone. I can't get it to see the input of my soundcard (from the receiver via the tape loop)...

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Maybe AiXcoustic Creations Electri-Q (Full edition) suits for your needs?

Otherwise, I would recommend Hermann Seib's free host software for this ..

SAVIHost for single VST plugin and VSTHost if you would like to add additional features as like meters, level control or/and an analyzer into signal path.

Voxengo SPAN is a nice analyzer plug-in.
Sonalksis FreeG is nice metering and level plug-in.
RN Digitals Inspector free is another metering/analysis plug-in.

=22&f=0&fe=0&linux=1&osx=1&win=1&free=1&com=1&un=1&sf=0&receptor=&de=0&sort=1&rpp=100]KVR lists most available EQ plug-ins.

jiitee

Dec 28, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 10
The software is the easy part. Building a totally silent PC is a little more challenging. Unless of course you listen to music so loud that you'll never hear a computer fan!
Don't worry about the latency if you are just listening to music. If you are syncing sound with video then you may have to use the audio syncing feature in VLC, for example.

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 10
My soundcard is a Musiland Lilo III Deluxe, a quite simple 24/96 USB soundcard. It doesn't support ASIO, so I use ASIO4ALL instead. I've tried XLUTOP, a VST chainer that can run within a host or standalone. I can't get it to see the input of my soundcard (from the receiver via the tape loop)...

So you're  trying to take output from receiver through soundcard input, process on PC via VST, then output that processed signal back out to receiver? No experience with Xlutop I'm afraid.  So you need an application which will see input to soundcard as a source and allow you to process VST. Does input to soundcard appear as recording device in Windows? Jriver will use an external source that way - maybe an option in Foobar?  You may also want to look at "virtual cables" which let you route rec/play devices in ways not originally intended
wink.gif
 http://alternativeto.net/software/vb-audio-cable/ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back