using mp3gain on entire music library
Dec 8, 2006 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
Some of my tracks will get distorted when applying different iPod EQ's to the music. I have been able to resolve this problem by using mp3gain.

However, some of my music is just fine with the EQ settings. So my question is this:

If I mp3gain my entire music library just to make all my song 'uniform' will this have an adverse affect on the songs that play fine with or without a little EQing.

Thanks all.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcodeguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of my tracks will get distorted when applying different iPod EQ's to the music. I have been able to resolve this problem by using mp3gain.

However, some of my music is just fine with the EQ settings. So my question is this:

If I mp3gain my entire music library just to make all my song 'uniform' will this have an adverse affect on the songs that play fine with or without a little EQing.

Thanks all.

Do you use Ipod? Have you tried Ivolume it works very well.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm using mp3gain to give any given song a little more ceiling for eq'ing. Without a decent ceiling, when applying an EQ of say more bass, you can experience clipping. This works great for song with these symptoms.

What about using the gain adjustment on songs that don't exhibit this clipping when EQ'd? Will they lose some of the frequency spectrum by 'gaining them down'?

Dec 8, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 5
While we're talking about mp3gain...
I've got a completely mp3gained library too, which I've then transcoded to Ogg (yes, yes, I know about the quality loss and it doesn't bother me).

Does the mp3ganining transfer over to the encoded file? I've occasionally had the feeling the oggs play at different volumes than the mp3s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back