Using MixAmp Pro TR as a pre-amp for the Magni 3
Mar 5, 2022 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SecrtAgentMan

New Head-Fier
Hello, trying to research and plan out purchasing of a new pair of headphones and wanted to see what options there were with powering the headphones. I game on a Series X which doesn't have optical out. I am planning on buying a pair of Beyerdynamic Tygr 300R, 880DT, or 990 DT but haven't selected which one yet.

Is it possible for me to use the Astro MixAmp Pro TR as a pre-amp and connect it to a Magni 3? How is this connection achieved?

• Xbox > USB > MixAmp > 3.5 mm Male headphone out to Male RCA > back of Magni > Headphones ?
Is the sound quality altered when using something like a MixAmp as a pre-amp versus using a Magni alone?

If I wanted to use a Blue Yeti with this configuration how could I do that? Connect the 3.5 mm on the Blue Yet to the controller directly? Connect the Blue Yeti to the MixAmp?

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 7
Exactly my setup! Except I use a lavalier mic. But it works great!
Thanks, good to hear that works.

Do you find that the sound signature gets affected by the MixAmp at all? Can you use EQ profiles on the MixAmp with this configuration? What headphones do you use?

And for your Lavalier mic where do you connect that to (controller or mixamp with a TRRS splitter)? If the splitter route I'm assuming it's a 3.5 mm RCA male to two females, one for headphones that gets connected to the amp and one for the mic?

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 7
The Mixamp definitely has its sound signature since the eq is always on. I turn off the surround and use a couple fairly neutral eq settings. I did a lot of experimenting with eq settings. Since the Mixamp is just outputting they audio to the Magni, all eq, etc can be used.

Yep - TRRS splitter for headphone out and mic input. I have several sets of headphones I use - Sennheisers, Dan Clark, Hifiman. I like using my Vali amp more than the Magni but that’s just a minor detail.

It’s really a great and fun setup.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 7
The Mixamp definitely has its sound signature since the eq is always on. I turn off the surround and use a couple fairly neutral eq settings. I did a lot of experimenting with eq settings. Since the Mixamp is just outputting they audio to the Magni, all eq, etc can be used.

Yep - TRRS splitter for headphone out and mic input. I have several sets of headphones I use - Sennheisers, Dan Clark, Hifiman. I like using my Vali amp more than the Magni but that’s just a minor detail.

It’s really a great and fun setup.
Can you share some of your neutral EQ settings that you use on the MixAmp?

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 7
I’ll take a look at them tomorrow. One of my settings I just put everything at zero with basic frequencies like 100, 500ish, 1000, 2500, 5000 then in the advanced settings set the frequency spread to 2. I did try having some presets for different headphones.

There are also a few sites with recommended settings for gaming.

But I’ll check it out in the morning.

I don’t care for my Beyers for gaming. What kind of gaming do you do?

Mar 6, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 7
I’ll take a look at them tomorrow. One of my settings I just put everything at zero with basic frequencies like 100, 500ish, 1000, 2500, 5000 then in the advanced settings set the frequency spread to 2. I did try having some presets for different headphones.

There are also a few sites with recommended settings for gaming.

But I’ll check it out in the morning.

I don’t care for my Beyers for gaming. What kind of gaming do you do?
I currently play a lot of competitive FPS (CoD, Halo) and TPS (Gears of War). Biggest things for me are hearing footsteps and positional accuracy of footsteps/gunshots. Which Beyers do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back