Using Meta with Separate preamp?
Apr 2, 2003 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ohoen

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone built a pure power META42? I was thinking I might do this to mate up with my almost done Bottlehead Foreplay. If this is a reasonable thing to do how would I do it. I mean can I just jumper where the pot would be or what? Thanks a lot.

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 4
You can just jumper it, but you probably don't want to. The Bottlehead Foreplay has some audible noise. This isn't really a problem with speakers, but you might find it irritating with headphones. If you build your Meta with a potentiometer, you can still use it with the Foreplay, but you can also use it on its own, in case you prefer a blacker background.

Apr 3, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks Wodgy, I was a little concerned about the noise. After all the talk on the Bottlehead forum of reducing hum the chances are it would drive me insane with headphones. I was just hoping to tubify at low cost. Anything new going on with your Fathauer rig?

Apr 5, 2003 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 4
Don't bother; the only thing you'd be gaining is the removal of the pot from the circuit, and the Foreplay's got a pot anyways. You might like the additional tubey sound, though; to reduce noise you might want to muck about with the input impedance of the amp. (Try wiring the input RCA jacks to the wiper of the pot (to the inputs that go to R1) and removing the 100K resistor; this will give you an 'adjustable input impedance' that will let you tweak for the best combination of low noise/best sound. [depending on the design of the Foreplay, it might not like a low load impedance, hence the tweaking.])

Users who are viewing this thread

Back