Using KSC-35/KSC-75 drivers in another 'headphone'
Mar 16, 2007 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

goodsound

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried substituting the KSC-35/75 drivers in another headphone ?
I have been tossing around the idea of putting these drivers in a over-the-head type headphone but have yet to find a suitable "enclosure" for them.
Any ideas ? suggestions ?
This will also allow recabling the ksc-75 in a better way than it does in its original size.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 10
I've though about it

as the KSC-75 seem to be pretty ugly and too cheap looking

although I took a look at my HD580 drivers there so small I wonder if you could make like a street style behind the ears headphones out of them.

Mar 17, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 10
I believe Jahn mounted his in some portapros. Don't quote me on that but Im pretty sure that is what it was. It would work if you use hot glue in just about any enclosure but i dont find it practical enough to mount in a higher end enclosure.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 10
I am almost thinking of getting a cheap (comfortable would be a plus) headband phones and doing the surgery. I am thinking something like a HD201 or even a Sony MDR-V150/250/300 or MDR-XD100/200.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 10
I popped the 75 drivers into the enclosure for the HD201. Used Sticky-Tac to set the drivers in place (The drivers for the 201 were smaller than the 75s so the edges of the 75s needed to be filed down a bit). Also used a bit of Sticky-Tac to create a thin layer on surface of the inner cup to improve the bass response (similar to the mods done on the Koss A130). The end result was a rather decent sounding pair of phones.

On another note, my roommate did the exact same thing with the Sony V250. In his case, the enclosure choice was horrible because the closed enclosures held the sound signature of the Koss drivers at bay slightly (boomier, messier bass and loss of highs). The HD201 is also a closed model, but I guess because of the way they are designed or the way the plastic parts are connected, they are leakier and tend to retain the sound signature fairly accurately.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Koss makes a behind-the-head / neckband model using the coated 60 ohm drivers, the KSC55. suggested retail is the same as KSC75 -- $20. Check the koss website and you will see. Those are at least available on amazon.

For KSC driver transplants into close back housings, the KSC35 drivers are better choices than the KSC75. -35 drivers has almost no cavity built-in behind the diaphragm, so they act just like normal drivers, rely on the housing cavity; the -75 drivers, on the other hand, has a rather large cavity behind the diaphragm and the driver and ear piece housing are integrated into one piece, you can't open up that cavity.So when the -75 driver goes into a closed housing, it is like putting a small open phone into a larger closed housing, it is hard to predict the result.

The neckband (KSC55) and headband (KTXpro-1) drivers might be the same no-cavity style as the KSC35, (but use coated diaphragms).

What I have done so far is putting GT5 drivers (same as KSC35/Sporta/porta driver) into a set of Sony MDR-CDV180 housing. Had to add foam inside to control the echo, but the end result is good: good sound, very comfy / light-weight, and closed back.

Have fun tinkering
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back