Using itunes, Am i missing out
Jul 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #17 of 25

Quote:

Never came across that back when I was considering replacing my iPod. Care to explain?

Sorry for taking so long, but had some things to deal with here. BBE default and custom effects are one of the big selling points of Cowon DAPs, as they seem to be able to shape the sound in non destructive ways. The only reason they aren't completely recommended above all similar and even higher priced (to an extent) is the fact that they don't come with a line out by default.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 25

My understanding has been the headphone out on the J3 is pretty good though.  This was from a post that helped me decide on J3.

Quote:
... The J3's headphone out is basically perfect when driving an external amp (i.e. no load, or near-infinite load), no need for an extra line out. :wink:

Quote:
... yes, the J3 doesn't distort at full volume, and comes close to the ceiling of what 16/44.1 can deliver, same as any professional sound card and such. It's what you see in the "no load" test I've linked in the post you quoted, the green measurements.

It might not deliver the exact nominal -10dBV consumer standard line-out voltage - but neither does any other MP3 player with a so-called line-out (especially not the fake "line-outs" on Sony players, the Cowon X5, and such).

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 25
So how do the Cowan players, especially the J3, compare to their iOS brethren?

Sorry, I know I've hijacked the thread a bit but I think this does all revolve around the question of whether or not to use iTunes. I, for example, am tied in because of my iPhone but others, when presented with the choice of an iPhone or iPod Touch, might find that the alternatives provide better sound and thus can choose to use iTunes or not.

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #20 of 25
Their main attraction is the high quality EQ and DSP features.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
So how do the Cowan players, especially the J3, compare to their iOS brethren?

Sorry, I know I've hijacked the thread a bit but I think this does all revolve around the question of whether or not to use iTunes. I, for example, am tied in because of my iPhone but others, when presented with the choice of an iPhone or iPod Touch, might find that the alternatives provide better sound and thus can choose to use iTunes or not.

No, there is no proprietary platform obligations of any sort, like how iTunes is forced on Apple devices. Cowon players connect through MSC and/or MTP, always running natively, without any drivers required. Cowon J3, D2 and D3 could very well be something you might be interested in, and you should take them for a spin if you have the chance.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #22 of 25

The APPLE CONTROL is what makes most apple haters hate apple.  I remember the apple commercials that portrayed all tech users as drones and the apple sledgehammer guy came in and set them free.  I feel with music it has become quite the opposite now.

It is easier (IMO) with most players (Sony, Cowon.. etc) to live in a drag and drop world of open design than in Apple's restricted world.  I had an Ipod, and I liked it, but when I wanted a player with different features from another brand it was a pain to switch over.   NowI I swap players when I feel like it.. seamlessly.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
That's rather interesting because if you look at raw specs they should be borderline identical.

honestly specs tell you nothing, anymore that the specs of a headphone tell you how good it is or how it will sound

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #24 of 25
Well, headphone specs can give you some indication. For example, the frequency response on my Denons are markedly better than anything else I've ever owned and the sound reflects that. I know it's not a perfect indicator, but stuff like that does hint.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:
honestly specs tell you nothing, anymore that the specs of a headphone tell you how good it is or how it will sound

It would tell you something useful if they weren't baldfaced lies 99% of the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back