Using Ipod on a computer w/o Itunes (at work)
Jun 11, 2007 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

trip221

New Head-Fier
Well, I finally joined the ipod bandwagon.

If I want to listen to my ipod at work through my computer without itunes, can I just plug it in through the usb? Or do I need to feed it through the aux in? And will it charge the ipod even though itunes is not on it?

Thanks for all the suggestions I've read and searched through. I ordered a BSE (and an extra in case I screw it up) so hopefully it goes on smoothly.

Jun 11, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 9
sorry to hear,
smily_headphones1.gif

ipods have a MSC component which allows them to be used as external harddrives if itunes is not present, you wont be able to access your music, but it will allow you to charge the ipod, i would suggest you get an extra ipod cable so you dont have to move the same cable around and risk damage or loss,

to listen to the music, you will either have to carry an extra copy of your music in a playable format on the ipod (as storage, drag and drop the files outside itunes to the ipod) or install itunes on your work computer, as always, before installing ANYTHING on a work computer, please check with the IT staff about the company policy towards non company software and about bringing in portable storage devices in to the office, you dont want to lose your job over an ipod.

Jun 12, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 9
you can listen to the music. you have to enable the function where you can see hidden files in windows.

tools > folder option > view > hidden files and folders

you can't add any music that will get recognized by the ipod this way though.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikkomang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can listen to the music. you have to enable the function where you can see hidden files in windows.

tools > folder option > view > hidden files and folders

you can't add any music that will get recognized by the ipod this way though.

Nice I never realized that.

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 9
Google "podplayer". YOu can just have this file on the iPod itself - very small file. And when connected as external hard drive you can just open the program and play all your songs. It has everything and just like iTunes but very lightweight and convenient if you just want to play music from the iPod on a computer without itunes.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Since I have lots of room on my 80G 5.5, I just keep a copy of music monkey on the drive. Works just like I'm at home, and recognizes all the files in ipod_control...

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 9
I use foobar2000. It can browse all the files in the hidden subfolders and create a database from the meta-tags on the fly. Just install foobar2000 on your PC, then copy and paste the entire foobar2000 folder from C:\Program Files or wherever it was installed. Then when you hook connect to another machine, browse to the executable and run it. Works like a charm! It's foobar-power on the go.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 9
I assume that you don't want to use iTunes because you can't install software on you're work computer. If this is true, the suggested options that require installing software won't work. If it's not true, why not use iTunes?

Another option is to get a universal dock and plug you're computer's speakers into the dock and just play from the iPod.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 9
scompton's suggestion was going to be mine. If you are listening to external speakers from your computer, I would just plug the iPod into the speakers directly. A little y-connector will let you mix your computer's audio in as well if you need that.

Installing foobar or one of the others on the iPod itself seems like the best solution, otherwise. As long as your work hasn't disabled the USB jack, you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back