Using iMac for 24 bit output, questions
Dec 17, 2012 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Raymate

100+ Head-Fier
Just want to know if this will work.

Linn Records have been giving away free tracks each day in Studio Master 24-bit some up to 192k and after using the ALAC file in iTunes I want to actually hear the sound as it should be.

Never been above CD quality source so this is all very exciting and sounds great on my E7 even with it downsampling the files to the E7

I currently have connected to my Mac a FIIO E9 with an E7 via USB, or course the E7 can only do 16 / 44

I'm going to buy the E17 soon anyway as I need another amp/dac for on the move.

If I plug in the E17 with USB into my Mac will it just work and send the files as is @ 192 or 88 etc. (some files are in 192, 88 and 44 but all are all 24 bit ALAC from Linns website)

Do I need to do anything special on the Mac?

Can my Mac (iMac and MacBook Pro) give audio out over USB at 24/192 or is there a limit for the USB output., would I need to use the optical out to give me up to 192 ?

Any one using Mac and iTunes with high res ALAC audio files like to comment please.

Thanks.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 2
Raymate:

a late reply, and perhaps the blind leading the blind, but I noticed while playing with a USB-DAC device on my imac today that the Audio Midi Setup utility allows me to set the parameters you require with USB designated as the Output. I'll leave it to someone more experienced to confirm that those are meaningful settings for the use you intend. Meanwhile, thanks for turning me onto Linn Records.

christian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back