Using IEM's with a home stereo safe?
Feb 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ogham

New Head-Fier
Can using IEM's (via a 3.5mm -> 6.3mm adapter) with the headphone socket (6.3mm) on a home stereo damage the IEM's? :confused_face(1):

If so, will keeping the volume to a sensible level prevent damage?

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 3
No the stereo should not damage the IEMs as long as reasonable volume are used.

You may hear greater distortion from the stereo as the impedance mismatch increases, but if the output impedance on the stereo headphone jack is low enough this will not be an issue.  Depending on what is on the output stage of the stereo's headphone jack there may be other issues like not being able to driver them to even moderately loud levels.

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 3
No the stereo should not damage the IEMs as long as reasonable volume are used.

You may hear greater distortion from the stereo as the impedance mismatch increases, but if the output impedance on the stereo headphone jack is low enough this will not be an issue.  Depending on what is on the output stage of the stereo's headphone jack there may be other issues like not being able to driver them to even moderately loud levels.

Ah excellent, thank you for taking the time to answer that for me. I was a bit worried about plugging such tiny devices into a big old amps headphone out - I'll take care with the volume!

I am reading about impedance matching now, hopefully I'll get my head around it soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back