Using IEMs for sports, like skiing
Feb 12, 2012 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aegwyn11

New Head-Fier
I'd like to use my IEMs for sports like skiing, but it always turns into a pain because of the communication aspect of things. The sound quality rocks and the isolation is nice (at times), but the isolation is very bothersome at other times. Removing/reinserting all the time isn't an option...I wear a helmet and that would be gigantically inconvienient.

I've got the Shure PTH thing and it mostly works, but sucks. Since its more like "slide to hear" and not "push", its very difficult and clumsy to use with mittens/gloves on. Its also a bit cludgy because of how the mic is built into the headphone connector (no good place to put the mic on ski clothes).

Does anyone know of a better solution?

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 5
How about wearing only one earbud at a time? Not a very good solution but it works.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 5
look up the Etymotic Awareness app for iphone. supposedly, it picks up sounds through the mic, and then transmits them through your earphones, so you can hear stuff around you. i've never tried it though, because it only works with etymotic mic-equipped earphones (hf2, hf3, mc2, mc3)

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 5
The Etymotic app looks interesting, except that I don't have Ety IEMs and don't have an iPhone :frowning2:

I'm considering hacking apart my Shure PTH...I think it might work much better if I could do two things to it....1) make it a push button instead of a slider and 2) seperate the mic from the headphone cord (and put some foam around the mic to cut down wind noise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back