Using IEM unamp'ed
Aug 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tang63

New Head-Fier
Considering to buy IE80 but I don't intend to get an amp for it. 

Do you still think its worth buying? Or should I get a portable amp to go together with ipod touch?

Sorry kinda new here, I'm actually also not quite sure what exactly does the amp do. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 4
IE80 are 16ohms, which means they will be very easy to drive without an amp, so it's not needed.

An amplifier will boost your sources signal, allowing higher listening volumes, (imagine it like a booster) also the possibility of altering a few other factors. But aty 16ohms you may find an amp will only cause more problems than benefits.

Aug 20, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
IE80 are 16ohms, which means they will be very easy to drive without an amp, so it's not needed.
An amplifier will boost your sources signal, allowing higher listening volumes, (imagine it like a booster) also the possibility of altering a few other factors. But aty 16ohms you may find an amp will only cause more problems than benefits.

Thanks for clearing that up! :) 

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 4
IE80 are also flat impedance, so the only thing higher impedance outputs might do is less tight (looser) bass and maybe some subbass rolloff.
The difference is subtle and unless you know what to listen for, you won't notice it.

The real trick is that some sources have lowpass. This is bad to have with IE80, which are bass heavy already - any extra lowpass will make them dark. That cannot be fixed just by amplification though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back