Using HQ Player with Roon Core help needed for big noob.
Sep 25, 2021 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Stanl3h

New Head-Fier
I apologise in advance, my brain is currently on holiday somewhere without me so I may need to be talked through this step by step.

I have SOTM 200 ultra network player
Chord Hugo tt2
Windows 10 PC with Roon core on.

I want to run HQ player on my PC so that I can use it in combination with my SOTM and TT2, however, I am looking at the options of the desktop HQ app and my brain is just saying a big fat NOPE.

So how does a complete moron like me, get Roon to use HQ player (both on same PC) and output is over the network to my SOTM.

Thanks

Dec 16, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 4
From a total noob to another noob. I just started using an hour ago.

What I did is open the HQ Player (Desktop not Client) Go to HQP settings, choose what backend and device you are using.
Then in Roon, go to settings>audio and scroll down to HQP then device setup see if you need to adjust anything there.

Now when you go back to playback in Roon on the right where you select the output device switch from the TT2 or whatever you dac you had to HQP. Play a track in Roon to hear the output. As long as HQP (Desktop) is running in the background, Roon will output sound. If you haven't paid for HQP, it will close after 30 mins. with the trial and playback will stop automatically. You just have to open it back up and start playback in Roon again.

Hopefully, other seasoned pros can chime in if I am missing anything. But, I can kinda hear the difference. It's very subtle. Seems like the lower, lower registers of bass are more filled in if that makes sense and kinda smooths things out in the treble peaks to it's not so sharp? Could just be the filter used. I don't know.

Jun 9, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 4
I really don't understand why there aren't any easy guides or youtube videos online for HQ Player installs. Like how to step by step install the embedded version on a Synology NAS or a NUC. Or what settings to use with what DAC. Is it meant to remain a secret club? Otherwise you can find just about everything online but not when it comes to HQ Player. Weird!

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 4
I really don't understand why there aren't any easy guides or youtube videos online for HQ Player installs. Like how to step by step install the embedded version on a Synology NAS or a NUC. Or what settings to use with what DAC. Is it meant to remain a secret club? Otherwise you can find just about everything online but not when it comes to HQ Player. Weird!

It is kinda strange. I guess no one has taken the time to bother with a video tutorial. Alternatively, you could ask in the HQP thread on Roon forums or the other one the dev frequents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back