Using Hifiman speaker amp adaptor for my HD-650 to Cary 805?
Mar 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CountChoculaBot

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm trying to use my Cary 805C monoblocks to drive my Senn HD650s.  I'm aware I can just use a headphone cable terminated to speaker leads, but what about using this?

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=104

I'm aware the impedance presented by the headphones is going to be off from 8ohms by about an 1ohm or so, but I'm guessing it won't be a big deal.  I'm pretty sure everything'll be fine, but I'd just like to make sure before I drop the $$$.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 5
(1) Headphone amplifiers are considered strong if they put out 2 watts, those Cary monoblocks are 50 apiece

(2) Senn HD 650s are 300 Ohms.  Not 8. 

(3) I highly doubt the headphones will be able to handle that much power, and therefore opine you're likely to fry either the Senn's voicecoils or the Cary's output stage.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 5
In regards to 2, it has a 10 ohm resistor in parallel.  I'm pretty certain from my research that this means the resultant resistance is then R1+R2/(R1+R2) which means my speaker amp is going to see about a 9.7ohm impedance.

In regards to 1 and 3, people run speaker amps with the Hifiman HE6 all the time, and I've heard of a few people doing it with the LCD-3, and even Denon D5000's.

Really, all I'd need is someone who's familiar with circuits in general to confirm this isn't a bad idea.

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 5
Yes - People do run Orthodynamic headphones - like the HE600 - off of small tube amps (usually single ended triodes) which put out a few watts.

HD650s are not Orthos.  Their power handling is rated at 500mw.  That is one half of one watt.   I sincerely believe that driving HD650s with a high current, 50 WPC power amp is not a good idea.  But you are, of course, entitled to do as you wish.

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 5
The $99 HifiMAN adapter isn't so much of a good idea from a sound coloration level either.  I've read of a few people who have gone this route and ended up describing that the little box changed their sound output.  I would hope that such a device would remain neutral with respect to the sound, but possibly not the case in this scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back