Using headphones straight out of line-outs = BAD??
Oct 15, 2002 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ptrick

100+ Head-Fier
This is taken from one of my threads regarding the HD580's in the headphone forum... but I have a question that arose which is more related to this forum, regarding the use of headphones straight out of a PCDP's line-out.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ptrick
highwaystar,

I have often used the line-out of the D-25s with my SR60's when late at night doing homework and there's no outside noise. It gives me enough volume for easy listening and i find it's had better level of detail, albeit softer volume-wise.

Someone has told me before somewhere that using the line-out directly with cans will give you better air and clarity, but lack dynamics that the headphone out may provide.

Cheers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(and here's the reply...)

Originally posted by Highwaystar.

Hi Ptrick,

I'm not sure it that's a good idea. I'm no electronics wiz (or I'd be building my own amps ) but the line-out is looking for a real high impedence (1000 ohm ?) load and not designed to drive the load of speakers or headphones. I think that's why the volume is much lower. It might be not be good for the unit either. Might be overdriving it or something. I'm sure one of the DIY'ers could chime in and explain it much better than me. Well most anyone could, I'm guessing Throw a post in DIY for info. I'd stick to the headphone out, at least till I got the facts. Wouldn't want to smoke it...

Any confirmations whether this is true or not or other advice?

Much appreciated!
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 3
My RS-1's distort when I plug them into lineouts. I guess its because of the low impedence?

Biggie.

Oct 16, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 3
I can't give an explanation for it... but I've heard the same thing dozens of times so it probably is true.

Anyone have a full explanation for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back