Using headphones, 2.0 speakers, and 5.1 speakers - how will this work?
Mar 31, 2008 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tim0chen

New Head-Fier
I currently use the Logitech Z-5500 on my computer setup, but after researching on this forum, I've been convinced to buy a E-Mu 0404 and Audioengine A5 speakers... so in the end, I'll be using: the Z-5500 (for gaming/movies), the A5s (for speaker music listening) connected to the 0404, and headphones connected to the 0404 on my computer.

Before I purchase the 0404 and A5s, I want to know how this setup will work. How will I choose between listening to each of the 3 setups (I hope they won't all be playing simultaneously - that may be a bit too much
smily_headphones1.gif
)? Will I have to plug/unplug every time I want to switch outputs? Also, are there any products/cables that I'm going to need for this?

Any input is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 9
I really doubt you'll want to use the Z-5500 for anything at all once you have the A5s.

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really doubt you'll want to use the Z-5500 for anything at all once you have the A5s.

So you think listening to the 2.0 A5s would sound better for movies than the 5.1 z-5500s?

I hope that's true; I'll wait and see!

Apr 1, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 9
I agree with Operandi, a good stereo speaker with good imaging can sound good even if it's not multichannel.

But for your information, since the E-MU only use stereo for analog output, after you install the E-MU, go to Window's Control Panel -> Sound and Audio, and choose to have the 5.1 card that you used previously with the Logitech as the default.

Then connect your speakers and headphones to the E-MU. In both your music and video player softwares, go in the control or options, and in the section usually called outputs, choose the E-MU.

Therefor only what you play using your music and video player will come out through the E-MU to the A5 and headphone. Since the 5.1 card is default, all other computer sounds and game sounds will come out to the Logitech.

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^^What he said!! The A5's have been a very pleasant surprise for me...

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #8 of 9
Actually, during my recent head-fi researching frenzy, I learned that some portable amps come with DACs (common knowledge, I know).

Even though they're designed for headphones, can the DAC on a Pico drive the Audioengine A5s as well as the 0404? What I want to know is: is there any reason whatsoever to keep the 0404 if I buy a top-quality portable amp with a good DAC?

I've read a review that said that the Pico DAC drove someone's Gilmore Lite far, far better than the 0404 did. If this is true, then I see no reason to keep the 0404 if the Pico can also drive the Audioengines well.

I guess this is sort of off topic, but I didn't want to clutter the forum with another post, so I posted it here
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Thinking about this some more, would I be correct to think that the 0404 would be preferable to drive the Audioengines due to the fact that they don't require batteries?

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim0chen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, during my recent head-fi researching frenzy, I learned that some portable amps come with DACs (common knowledge, I know).

Even though they're designed for headphones, can the DAC on a Pico drive the Audioengine A5s as well as the 0404? What I want to know is: is there any reason whatsoever to keep the 0404 if I buy a top-quality portable amp with a good DAC?

I've read a review that said that the Pico DAC drove someone's Gilmore Lite far, far better than the 0404 did. If this is true, then I see no reason to keep the 0404 if the Pico can also drive the Audioengines well.

I guess this is sort of off topic, but I didn't want to clutter the forum with another post, so I posted it here
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Thinking about this some more, would I be correct to think that the 0404 would be preferable to drive the Audioengines due to the fact that they don't require batteries?

0404 USB offers more functionality. Besides USB, it also offers SPDIF inputs and outputs, balanced outputs, ...

I don't like non standard batteries in these amps. I'd prefer AA or AAA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back