Using headphone out on macbook
Feb 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ads-6-384

New Head-Fier
Hi,

This is my first post here and I'm predictably after some help! I've looked through other threads but couldn't quite find the answer I was after, also asked on a couple of other forums to see what people who know more than me think! Here goes. I'm in no way an audiophile but know that I miss my nice system from home now I've moved out and just use macbook and JBL creature speakers.

I'm a bit short on money so can't afford to get everything I'd like just now but considering getting the following:

Using headphone out

via mini-jack to twin phono cable (e.g. Cambridge Audio ATLANTIC 2PH-3.5 1M | MP3 Interconnect | Richer Sounds)

to rel cheap(~£150) amp - any suggestions? Seems like CA Azur range are highly rated

to bookshelf speakers (again around £ 100 - 150) again suggestions welcome

My main question is this: It must sound better than what I have, but is it a sensible start or would one component hold it all back? Also Im using itunes with all my music ripped at 256, 320 or apple lossless. I'm mainly worried about using the headphone output of the mac and would consider getting an external DAC somewhere down the line, but not got the money now. Would also later like to add a headphone amp to run some Alessandro MS 1s.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I said I'm not really looking for ultimate audiophile performance (and obviously not going to get it!) but would like something nice which could then be added to.

Thanks very much for your help guys,

Ali

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 9
Feb 5, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 9
I agree with Hsiu, get that USB DAC. I've tried the headphone out on my MacBook through my RE252 and the noise was atrocious.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't know if the output on Macs vary, but the reports certainly do. I've spent a lot of time listening, with Etymotics and Audio Technica headphones, straight out of my former iBook G4 and current MacBook Pro and while the quality is not quite up to that of my external DACs, the difference is subtle. "Atrocious" noise? I haven't heard that.

Listen for yourself. See if you can borrow a really good pair of efficient (low ohm) headphones plug them in and listen. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

P

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 9
Even older macbooks have optical out through the headphone jack. My low-end macbook from 3 years ago does.

I listen to music with Grado sr225s straight out of the macbook headphone out. Not "critical" listening, just some nice background music, and it's perfectly enjoyable.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 9
I used to be OK with the headphone output of my macbook pro until I tried a DAC. Now I find the sound direct from the mac to lack clarity and dynamics. There is a plethora of DAC/preamp/headphone amp's out there. Read the thread on the Maverick Dac (I like the sound of the oem version (Xiang Sheng DAC-01 - Under US $200 shipped on ebay) through my fifteen year old NAD2100 power amp (The XS1 has a volume control) and a pair of Celestion 5MkII speakers. THese are all budget components and as it seems like you are in the UK the used market for budget audio is great. If you can find a good price for a power amp and speakers that you like all you need is a Dac/preamp and the macbook with optical or USB out as a source. I like the optical option for using with an airport express (It has an optical output). THis way I can sit in my listening position with the laptop and no cables.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 9
Hey thanks for all the help guys. I had heard about the headphone output being an optical out aswell. This would still require a DAC to convert the signal before the amp i presume as cheap amps won't have an optical input.

Is optical an advantage over USB? the Nuforce uDAC certainly looks pretty smart, thanks Hsiu.

As Guy mentioned, I expect I wouldn't notice the loss in quality at first until I'd upgraded to using a DAC anyway so sounds like a good way to start

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if the output on Macs vary, but the reports certainly do. I've spent a lot of time listening, with Etymotics and Audio Technica headphones, straight out of my former iBook G4 and current MacBook Pro and while the quality is not quite up to that of my external DACs, the difference is subtle. "Atrocious" noise? I haven't heard that.

Listen for yourself. See if you can borrow a really good pair of efficient (low ohm) headphones plug them in and listen. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

P

Well, it may not be atrocious as compared to my mother's HipStreet Clip player (buzzes like crazy) but it's definitely not as good as my Sansa Clip+ (near silent at low volume depending on the track) and this is while using my HifiMAN Re252s (16 Ohm IEMs). Haven't used efficient headphones yet.
triportsad.gif
My MacBook is has a plastic case instead of the aluminum on the MacBook Pro. May that be the reason for the noise from that port?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back