Using HD598's in Public and Headphone Suggestions
Oct 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

partyHat24

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
     I'm a noobie here, so don't be afraid to help me out/tell me if I do something wrong! :)

So I've been looking for a nice set of headphones for the past week. For the past couple years I've been amassing an ALAC collection and waiting for the day I could spend a nice chunk of money on headphones. Regardless, it seems as if the Sennheiser HD 598's are fantastic 'phones but I'm unsure about the open-back. How loud is that stuff in public and how much sound does it let in? I will be using these in private, too, so I can take advantage of the lossless files (my phone just has lossy copies).

And these are the headphones I've been looking at if you'd like to make a suggestion for me:
AKG K550 || Audio-Technica M50 || Shure SHR-840 || Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro || HD 598 || whatever you like

I listen to a wide variety of genres (from classical to hip-hop) however my main genres consist of classic rock (The Doors, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin), folk music (just really Bob Dylan), and some hip-hop (Wiz Khalifa, Mannie Fresh). Although, I'm not and never will be the guy who turns the bass to eleven just because I can. And if my hip-hop doesn't sound fantastic...well, it's hip-hop and is not that near-and-dear to my heart.

I like a song to sound the way it was meant to be/mixed (eg. Wiz should have more bass than Dylan). The AKG's look amazing but I'm concerned about fit and a complete lack of bass. I know EQ could fix this...but I doubt that is as high quality as having phones that actually perform correctly. I'd like to aim for clarity and accurate reproduction of the sound (I guess we all want this though). 

My cap is $200 (used or new; I've been browsing Amazon), however I'm open to suggestions and maybe I'll learn something.

One last quick question: I've noticed the M50S and the M50 are rated two completely different things on these forums, why is that?

Thanks fellow Audiophiles!
-partyHat24

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 4
JVC HA-S500 folding on-ear headphones, $60.
Uses Carbon Nanotube in the diaphragm.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 4
Checkout Senns HD 380 Pro. It's in your budget and sound better than M50 in my opinion. The sound is smooth and clear. The bass is great and not overpowering. And after 100+ hours of burn in, holy grail! Eargasms all the way. And it being a closed-back headphone makes it at a plus to not to disturb anyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back