Using Hd595 w/ OnBoard Card, Yikes!
Feb 16, 2006 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sl300

Head-Fier
Hello Everybody,

Ive been using the hd595's w/ my onboard card since sometime in november. I was playing around w/ my headphones and i plugged it into the line-out jack on my cdplayer and i was blown away
biggrin.gif

Well i guess that sound that i experienced is the reason why everybody here upgrades their source components.

Well here is the meat of the thread.. I listen to hiphop almost religiously, most importantly im a big 'lyrics listener (if that matters) i would want my source to not drown out or even better yet, emphasize. I dont play games on my computer, only listen to music

Now im quite new, and i've done alot of reading trying to keep up. It seems that many of you guys take different routes to achieve ur 'sound of choice (ie: soundcard/dac/amp/headphones, usbdac/amp/headphones, usbdac/headphones, soundcard/amp, etc)

I dont know the difference about these methods. BUT i DO know im only going to spend approx 200 (willing to go higher if it is worth it). So my question is, what type of setup would maximize the amount im spending?

i would prefer an amp that does not run on batteries.

*the Silverstone Ensemble runs straight off the usb? that would be awesome, but is this dac worth buying?

Should i go soundcard/dac/amp? usbdac/headphones? i dont know where to start..

suggest away please!

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 7
For now you could just use your cdp as your source and buy a used g-lite here on head-fi. It's a great amp and can be had for reasonable prices here.

Feb 17, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 7
For $200 I would think about an external USB sound card and decent portable amp. I'm sure you could find some decent deals on used equipment here.

A lot of people have had good things to say about the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro, which is only $30. Spend the rest of your cash on the amp. The AAM also has digital output so you can upgrade to a better DAC down the road and still use your computer as your storage device.

There have been other USB devices that people have had success with such as the Echo Indigo and M-Audio Sonica/Sonica Theater. I've used a Sonica and it's not bad, certainly better than an onboard card.

Currently, with my laptop I'm using a HeadRoom MicroStack from the USB port, but that's a bit more spendy than you want to get right now.

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040
For now you could just use your cdp as your source and buy a used g-lite here on head-fi. It's a great amp and can be had for reasonable prices here.

mmm well i wouldnt want to use my cdp anymore, all my music is on my computer

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
For $200 I would think about an external USB sound card and decent portable amp. I'm sure you could find some decent deals on used equipment here.

A lot of people have had good things to say about the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro, which is only $30. Spend the rest of your cash on the amp. The AAM also has digital output so you can upgrade to a better DAC down the road and still use your computer as your storage device.

There have been other USB devices that people have had success with such as the Echo Indigo and M-Audio Sonica/Sonica Theater. I've used a Sonica and it's not bad, certainly better than an onboard card.

Currently, with my laptop I'm using a HeadRoom MicroStack from the USB port, but that's a bit more spendy than you want to get right now.

Is there any 'synergy' combo's out there? tried tested and true? haha

So what you are suggesting is spending about 50bucks on a usb dac, and the rest on amp? why did u suggest a portable amp, i will be using the amp only at the desktop, i dont want to the hassle of batteries

Feb 19, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 7
replace the onboard with a Chaintech AV710 soundcard and use its line out to a portable headphone amp such as a Cmoy or Govibe, Pimeta, Minimoy. probably the best bang for buck option with the ability to add an external DAC to the mix later if you want.

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID
replace the onboard with a Chaintech AV710 soundcard and use its line out to a portable headphone amp such as a Cmoy or Govibe, Pimeta, Minimoy. probably the best bang for buck option with the ability to add an external DAC to the mix later if you want.

would i be better off getting a
usb dac -- amp?

or the emu0404 --> amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back