Using Equalizer-APO with iFi Zen DAC
May 7, 2021 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gil80

Head-Fier
Hi.
I'm new to audio gear.
I want to avoid using the PC's internal Realtak AC1200-VB DAC.
I have only stereo gear. AudioEngine5+ bookshelf speakers and ATH-A900X headphones.

I already use E-APO for my microphone and speakers. I read and saw nothing but good reviews about iFi Zen DAC for its the price point.
My other option was Schiit Hel 2, because of the microphone input and design that I like, but it's more expensive and I can't find it in Australia.
Besides, my Vivitar mic is a USB one.

So I wanted to know if I can still use E-APO for my gear and the Zen DAC. I want to keep using the profiles I have for my headphones/speakers but having them amped and converted using Zen DAC.

Or should I get the FiiO K5 Pro Desktop DAC & Headphone Amplifier?

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 12
I use equalizer APO with an ifi zen dac. It works great. I don't equalize my speakers or my microphone, just my different headphones, but if you already have the profiles set up you just change what device you are using the equalizer with on the settings.

May 9, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 12
I use equalizer APO with an ifi zen dac. It works great. I don't equalize my speakers or my microphone, just my different headphones, but if you already have the profiles set up you just change what device you are using the equalizer with on the settings.

This is absolutely correct. I've used both in the past and still use APO with other equipment and still have all my presets.

May 9, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 12
Yes. In my case, I use the peace front end for E-APO which has a drop down menu of all your output devices, usb or not, and lets you change whenever. It also asks when first configuring peace what input you would like it to use.

The Zen DAC is an all in one, even though the name only says dac.

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 12
This is absolutely correct. I've used both in the past and still use APO with other equipment and still have all my presets.
Hi mate.
So I've got the Zen DAC v2.
I have it connected via USB to my PC and my headphones only.
I re-installed E-APO for the zen and the tried various troubleshooting options. It doesn't work when I change EQ settings for my headphones via Peace.

But if I connect my active speakers to the RCA at the back, then switching between the APO profiles works.

I don't get it.

It's like windows treat the Zen differently if the speakers are connected to it or not.

Bottom line is, APO doesn't work on the Zen if only the headphones are connected.

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 12
ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive Mode bypasses APO layer ... so, just change to WASAPI Shared (or Direct Sound) to get it work with Foobar2k.
it is currently set up like this:
1627291666403.png

Where is that WASAPI option and will that use the APO layer?

EDIT: I installed WASAPI and now the output screen looks like this
1627293142605.png

Do I need to change my selection?
My current selection of ASIO+DSD is to allow to playback DSD256 as instructed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/foobar2000/comments/mhj0x1/dsd256_not_working_solution_ifi_zen_dac/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back