using different buffers?
Apr 14, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #16 of 22
another question, exactly what are these diamond buffers? I've seen a couple of threads on head-fi about them, but they seem to refer to several different buffers all called "diamond buffers"
confused.gif

so what buffers other than the buf634 have you listened to? which ones would you say improve the sound?

Apr 14, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by threepointone
another question, exactly what are these diamond buffers? I've seen a couple of threads on head-fi about them, but they seem to refer to several different buffers all called "diamond buffers"
confused.gif

so what buffers other than the buf634 have you listened to? which ones would you say improve the sound?

there's several design, but all are diamond buffers. nobody as far as i'm concerned have ever written a review or a comparison against those different types of diamond buffer designs. one person that could have built most of them buffers are sijosae.

all that i've ever heard are the BUF634s. other DIP buffers are hard to source for in Malaysia. but one for sure, even a simplified diamond buffer is better sounding than the BUF634. well that's what my ears tells me.

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #18 of 22
Intersil's buffers had quite a following. Unfortunately, they're even worse than BUF634's for availability. The META42 was designed specifically around an Intersil buffer that was discontinued completely. The Millet Hybird has dual sockets that can use the Intersil HA3-5002 buffer instead of the BUF634, but I've had less luck finding that buffer than the BUF634. As mentioned above, the OPA551 (not really a buffer, but can be used instead of BUF634 with a simple pin jumper in the Millett) is out of stock everywhere, too.

That goes back to the theme of my first post: It seems there is a limited choice of IC buffers preferred by expert DIY designers. When they do decide on one, the availability gets scarce rather quickly, or worse - they discontinue it.

We need more choices!

Apr 14, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #19 of 22
I think most of what we're dealing with in terms of supply issues right now can be direclty linked to ROHS compliance and crap like that that came online as of Jan 1 (I think). Prior to that there had never been an issue w/ the BUF634 or OPA551 that I'm aware of.

Nate

Apr 14, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #20 of 22
Good point. You are no doubt correct. Like any manufacturer, too - the conversion gives them a chance to re-assess each design and its cost/profit/sales. So, many good ones (to DIY-er's) probably go by the wayside.

Apr 26, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa

IMHO, 634 is flat and dull in a way, slightly shadowing detail and attenuating top high end. Every buffer will...to a degree, as they all have finite slew rate, so they're (neccesery) evil.

This is probably wrong pressumption. The BUF634's slew rate is up to 2000V/us (at highest bias current). This is about 40x more than the SR of a good opamp like OPA627. Do not try popular explains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back