Using default Foobar with FLAC, any other recommended modifications/plugins/Windows sound settings I should be aware of?
Jul 24, 2013 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Rylo

New Head-Fier
Basically as above.

I've got a FIIO portable amp on the way, but in the meantime I'm just using onboard sound and a default foobar install with a few library plugins, but no sound mods. I also haven't touched the Windows audio settings either.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 24
Hi ! I'd like to know more about this also haha! Good thread Rylo. Which FiiO model are you using? I'm thinking of getting one for music only ( laptop though ) and doesn't VLC also play FLAC? I've got foobar2000 1.2.2 installed for FLAC but can't seem to dinstinguish the differences. Does that eliminate me from the audiophil club? Lol :p

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:
Hi ! I'd like to know more about this also haha! Good thread Rylo. Which FiiO model are you using? I'm thinking of getting one for music only ( laptop though ) and doesn't VLC also play FLAC? I've got foobar2000 1.2.2 installed for FLAC but can't seem to dinstinguish the differences. Does that eliminate me from the audiophil club? Lol :p

I don't have my amp yet, but it's a FIIO E07K. Unfortunately I don't know how good it is, but I'll be able to vouch for it (or not) in a few days.

VLC does play FLAC, but what from I've seen there's no way to get VLC to remember your selection, so unless you're okay with opening the files directly every time, as well as not having play histories and stuff, I'd use FLAC. Again, I could be wrong about this, hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will come along and correct me if if I am.

As for Foobar, I just installed Simplaylist and Facets and Foohistory, and it's already working really well.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
I don't have my amp yet, but it's a FIIO E07K. Unfortunately I don't know how good it is, but I'll be able to vouch for it (or not) in a few days.

VLC does play FLAC, but what from I've seen there's no way to get VLC to remember your selection, so unless you're okay with opening the files directly every time, as well as not having play histories and stuff, I'd use Foobar. Again, I could be wrong about this, hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will come along and correct me if if I am.

As for Foobar, I just installed Simplaylist and Facets and Foohistory, and it's already working really well.

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 24
An easy add on for Foobar is WASAPI output support. Basically when you output sound from Foobar it goes through the WIndows mixer and then to your headphones. WASAPI output bypasses this and allows for bit exact output. You will lose volume control from Windows (still works in Foobar), but at the same time you eliminate a signal path. Depending on the quality of file you play there is a noticeable, not huge, but worth a try. Here is the link http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

On another note, I just upgraded my Fiio E7 to the E07K. You'll really like it. Is this for a laptop or desktop?

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
An easy add on for Foobar is WASAPI output support. Basically when you output sound from Foobar it goes through the WIndows mixer and then to your headphones. WASAPI output bypasses this and allows for bit exact output. You will lose volume control from Windows (still works in Foobar), but at the same time you eliminate a signal path. Depending on the quality of file you play there is a noticeable, not huge, but worth a try. Here is the link http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

On another note, I just upgraded my Fiio E7 to the E07K. You'll really like it. Is this for a laptop or desktop?

Ok, I tried the WASAPI output and got an error. It's able to play certain songs, but it seems certain FLAC files have bit rates it doesn't like or something?

The amp is for a desktop, it'll basically act as my permanent soundcard. Glad to hear you like it! Any tips? I've never used anything but the default audio in computers I've had, so I have no idea what to expect.

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 24
What did the error say? 

It might be an issue with your sound card. Go to the the "Output" section under preferences (right next to DSP manager). You can try between WASAPI (push) or (event). It just has to do with how it communicates with your sound card. I believe event has issues with older hardware but worth a try. Also, you can set the output data format to 16 bit first to see if the error goes away (this is on the "Output" page as well). If that doesn't work, well idk, but it will work with the E07K cause that is what I use.

What type of headphones are you using? The E07K puts out a decent amount of power compared to onboard audio and you should be able to definitely tell a difference. Probably not night and day but you will get higher volumes with less distortion for sure. Later down the road if you want to add to your setup there is the E09K (a desktop amp). It has a dock for the E07K to charge and act as the DAC while it acts as the amp. It puts out more power, but you may not need it depending on your headphones, but hobbies always need more things (I have one).

Since you haven't used any other device besides your comp audio, when I say more "power" that does not exactly mean just it gets louder. Even at mid volumes you will get cleaner more powerful bass, more clarity in the mid range, and smoother highs. But all depends on your headphones of course. It might be hard to tell at first with the E07K, but if you have easy to drive headphones you won't be maxing the volume level. Let me know how you like it, and feel free to ask questions, I was in your spot not too long ago. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
What did the error say? 

It might be an issue with your sound card. Go to the the "Output" section under preferences (right next to DSP manager). You can try between WASAPI (push) or (event). It just has to do with how it communicates with your sound card. I believe event has issues with older hardware but worth a try. Also, you can set the output data format to 16 bit first to see if the error goes away (this is on the "Output" page as well). If that doesn't work, well idk, but it will work with the E07K cause that is what I use.

What type of headphones are you using? The E07K puts out a decent amount of power compared to onboard audio and you should be able to definitely tell a difference. Probably not night and day but you will get higher volumes with less distortion for sure. Later down the road if you want to add to your setup there is the E09K (a desktop amp). It has a dock for the E07K to charge and act as the DAC while it acts as the amp. It puts out more power, but you may not need it depending on your headphones, but hobbies always need more things (I have one).

Since you haven't used any other device besides your comp audio, when I say more "power" that does not exactly mean just it gets louder. Even at mid volumes you will get cleaner more powerful bass, more clarity in the mid range, and smoother highs. But all depends on your headphones of course. It might be hard to tell at first with the E07K, but if you have easy to drive headphones you won't be maxing the volume level. Let me know how you like it, and feel free to ask questions, I was in your spot not too long ago. 

It only does this on a few songs I've tried thus far but the error is, "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 88200 Hz / 16-bit / 2 channels". The default setting for me inside of the Output panel was 16 bit, so I dunno :p My motherboard is less than two years old, so it should definitely be compatible. Could just be the audio files. I'll try WASAPI once again when I get my amp, it was also doing some weird things to my microphone input with Teamspeak.

Headphones (which are shipping with the amp) are DT990 Pros (250 Ohm). At the moment I'm using AKG K518DJs (my earlobes are crying, these things are ridiculously clamped) and onboard audio with a Realtek ALC898 codec.

I should have the headphones within a week (getting them shipped from America). So excited!

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 24
I think it is most likely the 88.2 kHz that is messing with your sound card. I have a Creative USB sound card that can do 96 kHz but didn't do 88.2 kHz. There should be an upsampling DSP already with foobar that you could use to downsample to 44.1 if you really wanted, but I'd just wait for the Fiio. 

Nice headphones, I have been wanting to try some beyers. With the 250 Ohm you might want to change gain setting on the E07K to +6 or 12 dB.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
Nice headphones, I have been wanting to try some beyers. With the 250 Ohm you might want to change gain setting on the E07K to +6 or 12 dB.

Or better yet get the E09K to dock that E07K into as it will provide all the power you need for the 250Ω beyer's.

I think you'll probably find the E07K a little lacking in power as my E17 just drives my DT880 Pro's. Depending on the source used, my E17's volume has to be at 50/60 for a good level, but docked into the E09K the volume on it is usually around 10 o'clock.

Check it out first though and see for yourself, if you feel it has adequate power for you.
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Thanks for this. I'll be using for a laptop though. Tryna get a HD598.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
Or better yet get the E09K to dock that E07K into as it will provide all the power you need for the 250Ω beyer's.

I think you'll probably find the E07K a little lacking in power as my E17 just drives my DT880 Pro's. Depending on the source used, my E17's volume has to be at 50/60 for a good level, but docked into the E09K the volume on it is usually around 10 o'clock.

Check it out first though and see for yourself, if you feel it has adequate power for you.
beerchug.gif

Not sure how the DT880s compare, but the E07K is supposed to output a bit more power than the E17, from reviews I've read.

Hopefully it's enough
redface.gif

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
I think it is most likely the 88.2 kHz that is messing with your sound card. I have a Creative USB sound card that can do 96 kHz but didn't do 88.2 kHz. There should be an upsampling DSP already with foobar that you could use to downsample to 44.1 if you really wanted, but I'd just wait for the Fiio. 

Alright, once I get them that will probably make more sense... Won't gain decrease quality/add hiss and static in the background?

As you can see, I really have no clue what I'm doing. Been lurking on HeadFi for a bit, saw some recommendations that made sense, and then saw that the amp had been advised with this particular set, but as for the settings and what they actually do, I'm pretty ignorant. Will do some reading on gain now.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
Alright, once I get them that will probably make more sense... Won't gain decrease quality/add hiss and static in the background?

As you can see, I really have no clue what I'm doing. Been lurking on HeadFi for a bit, saw some recommendations that made sense, and then saw that the amp had been advised with this particular set, but as for the settings and what they actually do, I'm pretty ignorant. Will do some reading on gain now

Well ideally you want the lowest gain, but +6 or +12 dB isn't a ton, and depends on how hard it is to drive the 990s. Initially I think you'll be fine and it will much better than computer audio card or an iPod, but once you step into the world of more powerful amplifiers, you will see what you might have been missing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back