Using cd player as a dac.
Jul 23, 2012 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tojamm

New Head-Fier
Hi, i have connected a optical cable between my soundcard to the cd player because i want to use my cd player as a dac.

I wonder if you could then connect rca cables from my cd player to the amplifier, and then select cd as source.

Then you would have sound? I'm not so good at this, still learning.

Is it something i have forgotten or misunderstood because there is no sound. I can also read on the product information that it has a 24-bit/176 kHz sample rate converter (SRC).
What is that, and if my soundcard does not support 176 kHz, what shall i then do?

Any help would be highly appreciated. Still a newcomer in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Hello tojamm,

I will venture to guess that you are connecting two optical "outputs" together, hence no sound.  Your soundcard's optical will be an "output" that can be connected into a dac that has optical "input".  For you to use the cd player as a dac, your cd played will need to have a digital "input" not "output"  (Cambridge 840 comes to mind?)  Always remember "what goes "in" must come "out".

Now you can connect a dac to either cd player or soundcard.

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks, that explains it. Much appreciated. "Cd player as a dac project aborted" :D

Although the cd player has a Wolfson WM8740 digital-to-analog-converter. It wouyld be appreciated if you would explain that also :)

Thanks again

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 6
The CDPlayer decodes digitally encoded audio, same thing as a dedicated DAC unit, but both need a DAC chip to be able to do that. The WM8740 is a DAC chip, not a DAC unit, in the same way that the LM6171 is the amplifier chip that the amplifier Meier Corda Cantate is built around on. You have, basically, a specialized chip, but a whole circuit is built around it. In the case of a DAC chip, you can build a DAC around it - or a source unit that can decode the digital data, such as a CDPlayer or a BluRay Player.

There are however some companies who have either realized that transports are the first to fail on optical disk players, and so to either allow you to continue enjoying the sound of past that or to prolong the life of the transport by using other sources (particularly when you're not listening critically) and have added digital inputs to their CDPlayers. In this sense they are DACs (DAC units) with transports, but on manufacturer websites they are of course classified as CDPlayers. The NAD 565BEE has USB input I think while the Cambridge 840C has more conventional SPDIF digital input.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
The CDPlayer decodes digitally encoded audio, same thing as a dedicated DAC unit, but both need a DAC chip to be able to do that. The WM8740 is a DAC chip, not a DAC unit, in the same way that the LM6171 is the amplifier chip that the amplifier Meier Corda Cantate is built around on. You have, basically, a specialized chip, but a whole circuit is built around it. In the case of a DAC chip, you can build a DAC around it - or a source unit that can decode the digital data, such as a CDPlayer or a BluRay Player.

There are however some companies who have either realized that transports are the first to fail on optical disk players, and so to either allow you to continue enjoying the sound of past that or to prolong the life of the transport by using other sources (particularly when you're not listening critically) and have added digital inputs to their CDPlayers. In this sense they are DACs (DAC units) with transports, but on manufacturer websites they are of course classified as CDPlayers. The NAD 565BEE has USB input I think while the Cambridge 840C has more conventional SPDIF digital input.

Thanks for the info. Things are beginning to fall into place.:)

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 6
It would be great if every cd player has optical out and in, since basically they have good dac section,
unfortunately they reserve optical in, for high end devices, sell more DACs??
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back