Using canalphones in traffic
Aug 29, 2004 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

akerman

100+ Head-Fier
do you guys use your canalphones (ety, shure, etc) in urban traffic? I mean they supposedly isolate you so well, that you'd probably fail to hear a car honking furiously because it was about to hit you... :/

what is your take on this?

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by akerman
do you guys use your canalphones (ety, shure, etc) in urban traffic? I mean they supposedly isolate you so well, that you'd probably fail to hear a car honking furiously because it was about to hit you... :/

what is your take on this?

It may be dangerous because you don't hear cars at all, but I do it anyway. I just try to be careful use my eyes and turn my head a lot when crossing street.

EDIT: I meant walking anyway. Sorry if I misread

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 15
I may be mistaken but isn't it illegal in some states? Wearing headphones while driving that is. I'm almost certain it's illegal in Mass. I'd assume canal phones would be as well although a bit harder to spot.

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 15
I've been using canalphones for over a year now (originally some Ety 4Ps until my cat destroyed them, and now some Shure E5s) during my commute into central London. Admittedly, most of my time is spent on train/tube rather than out and about, but I've never had any trouble. I suppose the biggest problem is missing announcements about the odd station being shut
smily_headphones1.gif

I would say that you just need to be doubly careful, but its common sense really.

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
I may be mistaken but isn't it illegal in some states? Wearing headphones while driving that is. I'm almost certain it's illegal in Mass. I'd assume canal phones would be as well although a bit harder to spot.

Oh, actually I'm not talking specifically about using them while riding in a car. I'm thinking in general... in my case, they'd be used on 15 minute bikerides to and from the university :>

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pingles
Using on a bike? I would say you'd actually be better not using them at all. I'd be seriously worried about using even regular earbuds when cycling.

hmm... I didn't have problems with my now defunct mx500, I could easily hear what was going on around me!

Aug 30, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 15
Don't use anything to block out sound while mobile. It's just not worth it and it's plain old dumb. Your sense of hearing is the second most frequently used and important sense. You need to hear what is going on around you especially when you are in command of some kind of vehicle. These earphones were designed for a very limited circumstances such as enjoying the music while sitting down in a noisy library or performing on stage at a concert. They weren't designed in mind to help you block out sound while YOU are in charge of driving or cycling!

Aug 30, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
They weren't designed in mind to help you block out sound while YOU are in charge of driving or cycling!

i decree that they indeed WERE made to block out MY sound when I am MOBILE!!

in all seriousness, i wear canalphones when i'm walking, but not when i'm biking or driving. i live in a fairly urban environment, with LOTS of traffic. i've never had any problems walking with canalphones.

Aug 30, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #11 of 15
I haven't biked as a mode of transportation in the last year or two but I recall just about all the near accidents (which weren't really that near) were not because I couldn't see or hear the automobiles around me but because their drivers didn't see me. I have to admit the traffic up here in Alaska is a lot lighter than in more densely populated areas in the lower 48.
tongue.gif
Plus, I got in the habit of being fairly aware of my surroundings while out and about (driving on snow and ice most of the year does that to you) so YMMV.

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 15
The risk/reward just can't be in your favor. Going without music for a relatively short period would seem a small price to pay to increase your chances of getting home safely. MHO, of course.

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 15
Hi,

We have a craze amongst the kids in England for incredibly powerfull, bass heavy car sound systems playing at max. volume. The cars shake and bibrate even when at a standstill.

I'm not even in that league, probably I'm getting boring with old age, but do have a 12 speaker HK CD set-up.

I fail to see the diiference when I am playing music at high volume, in a car that is well sealed, and canal 'phones.

In neither case can you hear outside sounds. If you check your mirrors frequently, then you can easily spot an emergency/police vehicle coming up behind you. I do this anyway since I am always breaking the speed limit when I consider it safe to do so.

A lot of motorcyclists need to seal their ears on long journeys, using ear plugs, because of wind noise. Canal 'phones are also frequently used.

However, I agree that I would not use them on a bicycle or when walking in town.

regards

John

Aug 30, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #14 of 15
Well, I'd never drive with my UE-10 in my ears. But I always walk with them in Milan.

You need to be on the look out, get used to turn your head more than you would deem necessary at first. But I would say that with proper care, walking with them in urban areas can be safe. If you are not the easily distracted type, that is.
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Reeves
We have a craze amongst the kids in England for incredibly powerfull, bass heavy car sound systems playing at max. volume. The cars shake and bibrate even when at a standstill.

No worries, that's not just England, or even the UK for that matter. Those tossers are everywhere where cars and music can be part of urban culture.

Anyway, I don't have a car, and I don't bike. I can't even ride a bike, anyway. So I walk all the time, and I rather like it that way. Whenever I'm on the go, I almost always have music, and I'm isolated from whatever is around me. Being a frequent walker I'm used to using my sight for anything and not relying on my ears. Since I don't have canal phones, I can hear cars honking, but they never have to honk at me because I'm just careful before crossing anything.

What we do here is generally walk into traffic, disregarding whether the light is red or green for pedestrians. When it's safe, cross. When it's not safe, don't cross. Easy as that. Incoming car? Be the judge whether you have time to cross or not. Eyesight, eyesight! I can hardly hear a thing with music playing in my ears, so I have to rely on that. It'll get "worse" when I get my canalphones, which will be soon. I've been doing that for as long as I can remember having a mobile music-playing device and I never had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back