Using both soundbar and headphones?
Jul 16, 2019 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MountainLion

New Head-Fier
Hi, I searched but couldn't find a specific thread relating to this, hope I haven't missed it.

I wish to get a cheap soundbar but my TV is 5 years old and it only has a 3.5mm headphone output and an optical output. No HDMI Arc.

Currently I'm using the optical output to feed a headphone amp/dac.

Is there really a huge difference if I use the headphone 3.5mm out on the TV to feed the soundbar which has a 3.5mm Aux input?

Is there a better solution?

Thanks for any advice.

Jul 16, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 9
Depends on the sound bar? Your 3.5mm will only let you transmit analog 2 channel audio.

Jul 17, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi, I searched but couldn't find a specific thread relating to this, hope I haven't missed it.

I wish to get a cheap soundbar but my TV is 5 years old and it only has a 3.5mm headphone output and an optical output. No HDMI Arc.

Is there really a huge difference if I use the headphone 3.5mm out on the TV to feed the soundbar which has a 3.5mm Aux input?

If your soundbar can simulate 5.1 it's only getting a 2.0 signal from the 3.5mm output.

If it has optical input then just get an optical output switcher on Amazon. You just won't be able to control that via remote so you need to manage the cables and have it at a location where you can flip the switch on it depending on which one you'll use.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 9
all my input is concerning sound bars get yamaha they throw the best, other than bose sr1 is what i use because its plug n play.

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 9

Thanks for any advice.
I bought a cheap optical splitter on amazon a couple years ago for about $20. Worked pretty well except for occasional power line glitches that would momentarily mute the audio. A better wall wart (or power strip, etc.) probably would have fixed that issue, but I ended up reconfiguring my system after a short while which obviated the need for the splitter.

Jul 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi guys,

thanks very much for replying.

Edit: Need to clean up long post.

Does anyone know why I'm getting no sound when I connect the soundbar to the TV using the Headphone Out on the TV to Aux In on the soundbar?

I'm using the Optical Out to my Headphone Amp/Dac at the same time.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 9
Anytime I have had to feed a signal through a 3.5 jack I've always been disappointed. I quit even trying. I finally even embraced bluetooth (is that taboo?). It has come a looooong way from the early days. I've got a Denon Bluetooth speaker for the golf course and beach and it sounds REALLY good for a speaker set so small.

Aug 26, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi, sorry for the late reply and thanks very much for your advice.

Thanks panic, I do have Bluetooth and you're right it really does save a lot of hassle. I can use my phone to play songs on the soundbar which has Bluetooth and even though it's very cheap and obviously nothing like my stereo hifi, it's alright streaming Amazon Music. Have to say, this £60 Megacra Soundbar is great fun, was hilarious the first time I checked out an action scene, it uses DSP and packs so much into so little to try to create a theatre environment.

I ended up choosing Optical with a splitter as Protogemaniac and Losslessloss suggested.

It's a neotek 4x2. So now I have my TV Optical Out going to the splitter and one Op out for the SMSL M6 and one Op out for the soundbar. It works great and thanks a lot for suggesting it.

It has a whole 'matrix' of configurations on the remote control but right now it's constantly sending a feed to both the M6 and Soundbar, I'm sure they're supposed to be isolated but I don't mind as I can turn either component off to suit.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back