Using both 1212m e-mu and X-fi
Apr 2, 2007 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shoenberg3

100+ Head-Fier
The 1212m is already on its way, but I realized that I need 5.1 capabilities in the future and also that 1212m simply don't support sounds from certain games. So I am planning on getting a XtremeMusic of X-fi. I heard of a member who successfully incorporated both cards, but he has been unresponsive to my PMs.

I honestly am puzzled as to how to work both cards (switch between them easily). My motherboard has 3 pci slots, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 2, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 10
If you manage to get both to function alongside each other, then what you can do (and what is ideal) is this setup:

X-Fi -> optical cable -> E-MU 1212m -> speakers/headphones

So the X-Fi uses it's DSP to do all the sound processing with EAX and such, and the 1212m does the digital-analogue conversion.

Apr 2, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 10
Ok I found this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...15#post2605215

So the way i would go about is this?
1) with both cards in place (just plug in them side by side on three pci slots??)
2) install x-fi software
3)install emu software
4) connect x-fi to emu with optical (can you be more specific as to which cable and which jacks are to be connected together?)
5) listen out of E-mu

In this case, are you saying that all of x-fi capability is available, but the DAC is improved by the E-mu? That sounds too good to be true if it were true! I heard 1212m by itself don't even work with Oblivion. By doing this, hopefully it would work?

Apr 2, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 10
Another question:
I just realized E-mu only supports 2-channel. So does that mean if I wanted to run 5.1 Klipsch system, I would directly connect it to X-fi and disconnect the optical whenever I want to listen to speakers? That sounds like a pain!
How about connecting x-fi to some external DAC like Zhalou? Would I be able to listen to 5.1 from that configuration?

Apr 2, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question:
I just realized E-mu only supports 2-channel. So does that mean if I wanted to run 5.1 Klipsch system, I would directly connect it to X-fi and disconnect the optical whenever I want to listen to speakers? That sounds like a pain!
How about connecting x-fi to some external DAC like Zhalou? Would I be able to listen to 5.1 from that configuration?

Yes. And no, Zhaolu is a 2 channel DAC

Apr 2, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 10
There is no need to disconnect the digital cable when using your 5.1 speakers. You can easily set up a Patchmix session that doesn't include any digital input for such times. Or turning off your headphone amp would probably be sufficient in most cases. Incidentally, the digital connection would only be passing the front two channels in games anyway.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 10
I am not sure x-fi digital output will have EAX... are there any links/data with conclusive evidence regarding this?

The way I have stuff set up: both x-fi and emu are connected to a receiver, x-fi is the default sound device for windows, but foobar outputs strictly to emu. X-fi is connected to the input that receiver constantly monitors and switches to automatically, so I don't even have to bother switching.

Apr 2, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure x-fi digital output will have EAX... are there any links/data with conclusive evidence regarding this?

The way I have stuff set up: both x-fi and emu are connected to a receiver, x-fi is the default sound device for windows, but foobar outputs strictly to emu. X-fi is connected to the input that receiver constantly monitors and switches to automatically, so I don't even have to bother switching.

So what if both output sound?

And about the X-Fi, I'm pretty sure it does, since IIRC both the analogue and digital output stages come after the DSP. Why not try it since you have it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back