using an unbalanced headphone with a balanced amp
Apr 26, 2008 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

m11a1

500+ Head-Fier
..is that okay? I'm thinking about building a balanced beta 22 but my headphones are not dual XLR terminated, I was thinking that I can get a Y-adaptor for the headphones going from 1/4" to dual XLRs. Is that okay?

Apr 26, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 7
That would destroy the whole idea behind the balanced design. And maybe even harm your amp because you would directly connect two of the signals.

Apr 26, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxlMusikfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would destroy the whole idea behind the balanced design. And maybe even harm your amp because you would directly connect two of the signals.

Oh I didn't know that it was going to harm the amp. Well I don't have any of my headphones balanced/recabled and I hoping to build the balanced b22 for the future when I recable my GS-1000...but it's okay because I'm going to build the b22 with a two amplifiers, one balanced and the other unbalanced. Thanks though!!!!

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 7
Well you can use a balanced amp with single ended cans, but not in the way you described it. The very common Neutrik jacks can accept both SE and XLR. If you wire it right inside you can either use one balanced phone or 2 SE phones.
But what you should not do is connect one output of the amp with another one. This would have happened if you build a XLR->1/4 adapter (the two negative signals would be connected to common ground).
Take a look at "Other options" on AMB beta22.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 7
I wired my balanced Millett Max with the Neutrik combo jacks, one can listen balanced or single ended with no problems. Just follow the wiring model on The β22 Stereo Amplifier under Other Options, which cleanly lays this out.

Apr 26, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 7
compared to the price of a balanced b22, getting a pair of headphones recabled (or reterminated) is really not that significant. i can understand the hesitation if they are rare or exceptionally expensive, but then why make yourself need the new cable... jsut get a single ended amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back