Using an MZ-R700 with an amp
Feb 1, 2002 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

edog

100+ Head-Fier
Is it worth it use the MZ-R700 with a headphone amp, or are the internal electronics noisy enough to cause me headache when amplified further? I'm trying to decide what MD to buy next, and I like the MZ-R700 quite a bit (good price/performance ratio). I just want to be able to use an amp with it.

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 9
I could never understand why MD owners would want to drag around a headphone amp; the whole idea of MiniDisc is its portability. You're better off making sure you invest in a good set of efficient headphones, such as the Sony MDR-E888's.

Having said this, if you really want LOUD music, the low output of an MD unit and even this earbud won't rattle your eardrums, although I find the 888's *plenty* loud for me.

If you did have an amp, I might suggest a set of KSC-35's to go with the combo, as they sound marvellous.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 9
For me, minidiscs are not only about tiny sized devices, but cheap tiny media. I can transport 10 CDs in a 40 cubic inch space, and it didn't cost me much. I think an altoid tin plus the minidisc player is cute, which is why I'm going to acquire one someday.

With that said, I do think my minidisc player (MZ-R70) drives my headphones very capably. I've never actually used an amp with them though so I can't vouch for the quality.

Feb 2, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 9
IMO, it's no use. either your gonna use an entry level amp with headphones that sound okay from a 10mW source (Sharp MDPs) or your gonna use highendstuff and the headphonejack of the MDP is gonna be a very weak link.

Feb 2, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 9
Superbaldguy,

I want to bring an amp, because I want to have crossfeed and the incredible sound that can only be made through a dedicated amp. I have Ety ER4P's, which can easily be driven from an MD, but they sound much better through an amp (with the ER4S adapter).

With an amp, I still get:
- song titles
- compact, durable media
- ability to keep my CDs safe at home (very important!)
- easier to change MD's than CD's
- still takes up much less room than a CDP + amp

Feb 2, 2002 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 9
Braver,

You've confirmed what I've feared. I guess I'll spring for an MZ-R909. That at least has a persistent line out setting, unlike the MZ-R900.

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Superbaldguy
I could never understand why MD owners would want to drag around a headphone amp; the whole idea of MiniDisc is its portability. You're better off making sure you invest in a good set of efficient headphones, such as the Sony MDR-E888's.

Having said this, if you really want LOUD music, the low output of an MD unit and even this earbud won't rattle your eardrums, although I find the 888's *plenty* loud for me.

Have you ever listened to an amp from the line out of a MD player?

Since I did I cannot listen to the MD headphone out anymore because it sounds plain terrible in comparison.

An amp is not only for beefing up the volume and if you have an Altoids type, it's still well portable with the MD player.

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 9
thing is, none of the current MPD have line-outs. if you don't have a line out, all the amp is for is boosting volume and adding another layer of color on the sound (in the case of the CMOY: making it brighter).

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 9
As someone mentioned, the Sony MZ-R909 does have "sticky" line-out/headphone settings now. On the older players, you could swap settings, but as soon as the player was turned off, it would revert to headphone out. I am assuming using the line-out setting electronically removes the circuit from the internal headphone amp instead of just putting it at a preset volume, but I could be wrong. I have never used a headphone amp with any of my PMDP's, and have never felt a need to.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back