Using an iPod with large cans
Dec 23, 2005 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Russell

Head-Fier
I've got a brand new 5G 30GB iPod and have discovered, to my amazement, that it's able to drive my old pair of Sony MDR-CD850 headphones to way more than adequate volume levels. Sounds pretty darn good, too. The 850's are pretty large and heavy closed cans (I used them years ago in my home stereo system--now I've got Stax SRS-3030's), but was delighted to discover that my little iPod could drive them pretty effortlessly. My question is whether I'd be taxing the iPod in any way when using these large cans. Their impedance is 32 ohms and sensitivity is 102 db, which seems to fall right in the range of more portable phones. Is this all that matters?

Thanks,
Russell

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell
I've got a brand new 5G 30GB iPod and have discovered, to my amazement, that it's able to drive my old pair of Sony MDR-CD850 headphones to way more than adequate volume levels. Sounds pretty darn good, too. The 850's are pretty large and heavy closed cans (I used them years ago in my home stereo system--now I've got Stax SRS-3030's), but was delighted to discover that my little iPod could drive them pretty effortlessly. My question is whether I'd be taxing the iPod in any way when using these large cans. Their impedance is 32 ohms and sensitivity is 102 db, which seems to fall right in the range of more portable phones. Is this all that matters?

Thanks,
Russell

I'd be surprised if it's capable of driving them... No, electrically speaking it is not as capable of driving them as a reasonable amp. However, if it satisfies you, then don't worry about it - if you ever get an opportunity to stick an amp between the iPod and your headphones, see if the difference is worth the money, but until then be satisfied in your satisfaction!

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 12
Well, as I said, it seems to work pretty darn well, and I was very pleasantly surprised at this. The volume setting on the iPod is no higher than with the standard Apple buds for a given level, and there seems to be more than adequate headroom (it can go to beyond-deafening levels). (And the sound quality is a lot better, of course.) I guess these headphones are pretty efficient and don't present a huge load to the iPod. I realize that a separate amp would provide better sound, but for the moment this is pretty satisfactory (and pretty cool to have such a small device powering such large cans and sounding as good as it does!).

Best,
Russell

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I have amps coming out of my ears.
(metaphorically speaking of course)

Meanwhile, I continue to be quite happy in driving a 70-ohm, 100db/mw large headphone unamped out of also a 5G 30Gb.

Personally I found the A900 to sound the best unamped out of the ipod. With the impendence being only 40 from A900s. It doesn't get more full size headphone then A900s.

Dec 30, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 12
After doing a little research, I'm thinking of getting the AD700 as a replacement for the MDR-CD850 for use with the iPod at home. In the meantime, I picked up a PX100 for portable use. I have to say that the PX100 sounds pretty impressive--certainly way better than the stock Apple buds, but also better than my old 850's (no surprise there, I suppose). Still, I'd want something more substantial than the PX100 for home use, hence the consideration of the AD700. The impedance is right (32 ohms), and so is the price. Any comments?

Russell

Dec 30, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

After doing a little research, I'm thinking of getting the AD700 as a replacement for the MDR-CD850 for use with the iPod at home. In the meantime, I picked up a PX100 for portable use. I have to say that the PX100 sounds pretty impressive--certainly way better than the stock Apple buds, but also better than my old 850's (no surprise there, I suppose). Still, I'd want something more substantial than the PX100 for home use, hence the consideration of the AD700. The impedance is right (32 ohms), and so is the price. Any comments?

Russell

For that price range, unamped, I'd be awfully tempted to go with either the senn HD555 or a used set of Sony CD-1700. The sonys were the best cans I ever owned, and I kick myself often for ever getting rid of them. I think that for the price, they can't be beat.

Dec 30, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 12
You know, come to think of it, I own the 1700's. I didn't really care much for them when I got them some years ago (I remember thinking they lacked sparkle and transparency) and so I lent them to a friend in the hopes that he would buy them from me. He didn't buy them, but he hasn't returned them to me, either. I don't have a lot of contact with him, so maybe it's time to give him a call.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I'm willing to give the 1700's another try....

Russell

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 12
Think the AD700 are a better choice. Not that Sonys are going to sound bad but like the AD's more.

Jan 3, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #10 of 12
Well, I retrieved my old 1700s from my friend today, and am listening to them now through my iPod. All I can say right now is that the urgency to get a new pair of large cans has been lessened a bit. The 1700s are warm, smooth, and have more than ample bass. I still think they lack sparkle and transparency (might have to implement the foam mod), but the sound overall is very pleasing nevertheless, and an improvement in every way--including comfort--over the PX100 (which will now be relegated to portable use) and my old MDR-CD850s. The ATH-A900LTD still beckons, though....
orphsmile.gif
(No longer thinking about the AD700.)

Russell

Jan 3, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Well, I retrieved my old 1700s from my friend today, and am listening to them now through my iPod. All I can say right now is that the urgency to get a new pair of large cans has been lessened a bit. The 1700s are warm, smooth, and have more than ample bass. I still think they lack sparkle and transparency (might have to implement the foam mod), but the sound overall is very pleasing nevertheless, and an improvement in every way--including comfort--over the PX100 (which will now be relegated to portable use) and my old MDR-CD850s. The ATH-A900LTD still beckons, though....
orphsmile.gif
(No longer thinking about the AD700.)

Russell

Ah well... if you have those, then don't bother upgrading for a while
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back