Using an external power switch for audio equipment
Jan 12, 2016 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

radmanhs

100+ Head-Fier
I always left my audio equipment on all the time, then I remembered I had a remote power switch laying around.  Would it be ok to use this switch on my headphone dac/amp, and powered speakers? Or will the sudden "rush" of power cause problems every time I switch my stuff on and off?

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 6
Professional studio gear is often built to be switched on/off with a central switch, but with anything else I'd recommend caution. It's unlikely that something will go wrong first time you try, but if you keep doing it every day the chances of it having some ill effect on your gear increase. In particular avoid switching on shortly after you switched it off.

I am using similar approach with my speakers (but they are studio monitors) - with a master/slave powerboard. The monitor controller (i.e. equivalent of your DAC/amp) is connected to the master socket and the monitors and sub are slaves. When I turn the controller on, the powerboard senses that and supplies power to the slave sockets and they all come on. The reverse process takes place when I switch the controller off.

If you decide to give it a go, at least pay attention to how hour speakers and headphones react. If they come on with a lout thud, it may be a sign that your gear was not designed to be used this way.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 6
is there a decent "unprofessional" level solution to switch everything on or off?  If it matters, I'm using a schiit modi 2, Headroom Maxxed out Headphone amp, and a pair of Vanatoo Transparent Ones. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 6
If it uses a "hard switch" (as opposed to a "soft button"), using an external switch is almost certainly fine.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 6
huh, I would have never guessed that the type of switch the device has would determine whether or not it is ok to switch it on and off from the wall.

so I just turn my stuff on and use the external switch, with what should be no problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back