Using an Amp Question
Mar 29, 2009 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pagail118

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a somewhat noob question about amp. What is the best way to use an amp with my headphones ?

Do I plug my headphones before starting the amp, or I plug them after the amp is on ? There is a big CLICK when you power the amp with the headphones in, so I wonder if it is any good for the phones.

Is it ok to let my headphones plugged in when the amp is off ?

Thank you.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 7
Plug it in and leave it in. Before plugging in/unplugging, make sure the amp is off or at least turn the volume control is all the way down.

If lightning strikes, however, your headphone will be fried.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Never start an amp with headphones in. Also unplug the phones when powering down.

Some amps have safeguards to prevent DC voltage from entering the phones, but you don't want to risk it.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never start an amp with headphones in. Also unplug the phones when powering down.

Some amps have safeguards to prevent DC voltage from entering the phones, but you don't want to risk it.

Why never start an amp with headphones in?
Unplug before or after power down? If before, why?

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 7
I guess it's from me using a DIY headphone amp that's very basic.

Tubes pass DC voltage along with the output signal. There are coupling capacitors in the signal chain which block the DC voltage. The thing is, the capacitors need to be fully charged in order to block the voltage. It doesn't take too long to charge them, and that POP you hear is DC voltage going through your headphones for a split second. Very bad for headphone drivers.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 7
i used to plug them before turning on and also keep them in whan turning off the unit. there is a little pick but almost unfelt.
but because i love my headphones so much i decided not to risk it and started to plug them after i turn on my amp. it's the safest.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #7 of 7
* Plug in the headphone
* Turn on the amplifier
* Let it warm up for 20 minutes
* Enjoy music

My experience is that its fine to leave the headphone plugged in all the time. You could always make it a routine to turn the volume all the way down before you turn it off/on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back