Using altec lansing speakers as amps?
Apr 22, 2003 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

xcalibur

100+ Head-Fier
Hi...i was wondering whether if using the headphone jack on PC Altec Lansing Speakers will amplify the signal that comes out of the source? Thanks!

Apr 22, 2003 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by xcalibur
Hi...i was wondering whether if using the headphone jack on PC Altec Lansing Speakers will amplify the signal that comes out of the source? Thanks!

If they're active speakers (i.e. the speakers have a separate power supply) they will most probably amplify the input signal through the headphone out. Whether the amplification is any good qualitywise is another question I don't know the answer to.

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 5
The amplification of both Altec Lansing speakers I've owned was pure crap. Not often do I say pure crap, but it was probably worse than my cheapie $1000 laptop's headphone out - the sound at medium volume sound like the speakers themselves - bunch of distortion, etc. etc.

Of course, I could have just had bad experiences; Klipsch's headphone out is a lot better than the Altec's I've had (although not perfect, they don't suck that much)

Apr 22, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 5
^ ditto, I tried a lot of computer speakers with headjacks and all of them were pure schit.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 5
My computer's headphone jack has no volume control, and I'm pretty sure it is unamplified...

It sounds much better than the headphone jack on my klipsch promedia's ..but it's also a lot quieter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back