Using AKG K271 mkII in the BATHTUB HELP!!
Apr 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mms6

Head-Fier
Hi, I have been using my AKG K271 mkII in my bathtub recently when I am taking a how and long bath..

Here are some of my concerns:

As my fingers are wet with hot bath water, and I am submerged with hot steam:

1. I constantly drop my AKG mini-XLR to 3.5mm cable into the bathtub FULLY SUBMERGED with hot water. The mini-XLR end is attach to the headphones, so there is no worry, but the 3.5mm jack and the rest of the actual cable are FULLY SUBMERGED in the hot bath water. If I do this too often, will I destroy my cable?

(The cable is the standard factory supplied AKG mini-XLR to 3.5mm straight gold-plated cable)

2. I have my Fiio E7 as well when I take a bath to use mainly as a DAC. Can the hot water steam damage the Fiio E7?

Please let me know...

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 7
1. Assuming you have no deep scratches in the rubber or your connection, no it should not affect your cord.  Rubber is hydrophobic and non-porous so it should not affect your cord.  The connection is gold plated so it should not oxidize.

2. Water vapor will probably lead to quicker aging of the solder in the e7 aka if there are weak points it may lead to quicker failure although it should be a simple fix.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks man

Now i wont have any worries for using the phone and dac combo in the bath

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 7
That's one of the reason why I am using the K271s mainly because they are sealed...

I used my K271s in the snow during the winter for the past few years, and so far, no problems....

I will DEFINITELY NOT use my AKG Q701s in my shower lol

If I were to use my AKG Q701s, that would be a different story lol. ^_^

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 7
dazedbus' post was helpful. This was an interesting thread. Lol. I've often used my headphones immediately out the shower and have wondered the issue that could arise from that. Never seemed to have any, but I stopped nonetheless.

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Stop being clumsy ya nong, goddamn

don't drop things in the bath, period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back